Turning on/off the logfile

From
Gerald Gutierrez
Date:
PostgreSQL spits out logging information to stdout and stderr which can
then be piped to a file to act as a "log file". Is there a way to get
PostgreSQL to enable/disable this output without restarting the server?
Currently I have to edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql to run postgresql
with >mylogfile or >/dev/null, and restart the server.

If there isn't an ability to do this, I think I'll whip up a little script
that will read stderr/stdin but listen to signals and turn the output on or
off.

Thanks.

Gerald.

Re: Turning on/off the logfile

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 08:24:32PM -0700, Gerald Gutierrez wrote:

> If there isn't an ability to do this, I think I'll whip up a little script
> that will read stderr/stdin but listen to signals and turn the output on or
> off.

I think you can't turn this on & off on the fly, but I uncovered a
little program the other day which might work (I haven't tried it
yet), called flog.  See <http://oss.ezic.com/>.

--
----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue