Upcoming PostgreSQL seminars

Date:
Great Bridge is having PostgreSQL seminars in various US cities during
the next few months.  The first two are in New York City and Arlington,
Virginia at the end of May.  Other cities are later.

You can get more information at:

    http://www.greatbridge.com/gb?seminar

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL seminars

From
newsreader@mediaone.net
Date:
On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 09:51:56PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> You can get more information at:
>
>     http://www.greatbridge.com/gb?seminar

The kind of seminar I'm interested is like a short course
in "how to optimize the database/queries etc" to
an audience with a good technical background but
without formal training in database design/theories etc.
Sort of like one day classes they give at usenix
conferences...  Come to think of it someone
from the core developers of postgres should give
such classes at one of the usenix conferences.  Mind
you I've never been to any of those conferences.
But it's very tantalizing to me especially I can
get a student discount.

What you have up on the web page seems to be geared
towards the managers who will make purchasing decision
and who won't actually be involved in designing and implementing
the real thing.  IMO.

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL seminars

Date:
> The kind of seminar I'm interested is like a short course
> in "how to optimize the database/queries etc" to
> an audience with a good technical background but
> without formal training in database design/theories etc.
> Sort of like one day classes they give at usenix
> conferences...  Come to think of it someone
> from the core developers of postgres should give
> such classes at one of the usenix conferences.  Mind
> you I've never been to any of those conferences.
> But it's very tantalizing to me especially I can
> get a student discount.

I do have a new performance tuning article at:

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/performance/index.html

and my book does have a chapter on performance:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html

but certainly it would be nice to have such a class.  There will be some
stuff at the O'Reilly Conference in July.

> What you have up on the web page seems to be geared
> towards the managers who will make purchasing decision
> and who won't actually be involved in designing and implementing
> the real thing.  IMO.

The first half is for managers, the second for developers, but they are
not going to go very deep.

Disk storage pgsql 7.1.1

From
snpe
Date:
Hi,

Where does Postgersql 7.1.1 put  files (data,index ...) ?

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL seminars

From
Joel Burton
Date:
On Thu, 10 May 2001 newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 09:51:56PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >

> > You can get more information at:
> >
> >     http://www.greatbridge.com/gb?seminar
>
> The kind of seminar I'm interested is like a short course
> in "how to optimize the database/queries etc" to
> an audience with a good technical background but
> without formal training in database design/theories etc.
> Sort of like one day classes they give at usenix
> conferences...  Come to think of it someone
> from the core developers of postgres should give
> such classes at one of the usenix conferences.  Mind
> you I've never been to any of those conferences.
> But it's very tantalizing to me especially I can
> get a student discount.

The organization I work for is conveniently located in Washington, DC USA,
one block from a Metro stop, and has both a conventional training room,
and a computer training lab. Our lab is networked, on the Internet, and
has a dual boot Linux/Win98 install.

If anyone would be willing to teach a class about PostgreSQL, but needs
space to do so, I'd be happy to offer space.

Just let me know first. :-)

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>