Report Writer for PostgreSQL

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with report writers?  It's not something I
know much about yet.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New PostgreSQL Review at epinions.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:19:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Patrick Lanphier <planphier@artemisgroup.com>
To: Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org>

Well it needs the capability format data on many different graph,
capable
of generating HTML, PDF, and RTF formats.  The server will be running on
Linux but the design platform can be whatever.  The problem I had with
one
report writer was the data from the database was present one way and it
was not capable on rotating the data for the graph and I wasn't about to
do this for the report writer.  Is there somebody I should contact that
you know about a report writer?

Patrick Lanphier
The Artemis Group
http://www.artemisgroup.com

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> No problem Patrick.  :-)
>
> Two questions :
>
> a) Which operating system(s) does it need to run on?
>
> b) What features does it need to have?
>
> Honestly, I haven't done much with report writing, so I'm not going to
> be the best person to ask.  BUT if you do a quick subscribe to the
> ggsql-general@postgresql.org mailing list and ask there, many capable
> people are around.  :-)
>
> (You subscribe by sending "subscribe" as a message to
> pgsql-general-request@postgresql.org.  Unsubscribing later on is the
> same, but sending "unsubscribe" <without the quotes too>)
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>
> Patrick Lanphier wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to grab your email address and ask you this.  But I have been
> > looking for an inexpensive report writer that is feature rich.  What are
> > your thoughts?
> >
> > Patrick Lanphier
> > The Artemis Group
> > http://www.artemisgroup.com

Re: Report Writer for PostgreSQL

From
Chris Smith
Date:
Hey,

> Does anyone have experience with report writers?  It's not something I
> know much about yet.

Crystal Reports (www.seagate.com) is quite good, can do any sort of report
you're after. You can use an ODBC driver for accessing the database, so
accessing pgsql wouldn't be a problem..

Oops just read the last comment, it is a bit expensive.
Maybe not then :)

--------------
     Chris Smith
http://www.squiz.net

RE: Re: Report Writer for PostgreSQL

From
"Michael Ansley (UK)"

Have a look at this, too.

http://www.thekompany.com/projects/kugar/

It's not commercial, but it's got a version 1.0 release.

Cheers...

MikeA

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged and/or copyright
material of Intec Telecom Systems PLC (or its affiliated companies). If you are not an
intended or authorised recipient of this e-mail or have received it in error, please delete
it immediately and notify the sender by e-mail. In such a case, reading, reproducing,
printing or further dissemination of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Intec Telecom Systems PLC. does not represent or warrant that an attachment hereto is free
from computer viruses or other defects. The opinions expressed in this e-mail and any
attachments may be those of the author and are not necessarily those of Intec Telecom
Systems PLC.

Re: Re: Report Writer for PostgreSQL

From
larry a price
> > From: Patrick Lanphier <planphier@artemisgroup.com>
<snip>

> > Well it needs the capability format data on many different graph,
> > capable
> > of generating HTML, PDF, and RTF formats.  The server will be running on
> > Linux but the design platform can be whatever.  The problem I had with
> > one
> > report writer was the data from the database was present one way and it
> > was not capable on rotating the data for the graph and I wasn't about to
> > do this for the report writer.  Is there somebody I should contact that
> > you know about a report writer?

There is one product that might be of interest, unlike many GUI report
generators it does not restrict the types of reports you make,
it's called the Practical Extraction and Report Language ....
oh yeah and it's free.

nb. i'm a python guy but i couldn't reist

Help, I dropped a system datatype, and now I'm ....

From
"Dave Cramer"
Date:
Hi,

I inadvertantly dropped a system data type (box) and now I am getting errors

cannot find datatype oid 603 when I do some selects

I have two possible solutions; 1 of which doesn't work yet

insert back into the pg_type table the box row copied from another machine
with oid 603, which postgres doesn't allow me to do.

recreate the type and find all the references to it. Can someone tell me
where to look for all the references to it?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Cramer

Re: Help, I dropped a system datatype, and now I'm ....

From
"Dave Cramer"
Date:
Tom,

Thanks, actually Bruce helped me out with this last night.

> Oops.  Consider not doing your development work as superuser ;-)

What is the definition of superuser? most of my users have the ability to
createdb. This seems to give them superuser priveleges. Is that correct?

Dave

Date:

Date:
"Dave Cramer" <Dave@micro-automation.net> writes:
>> Oops.  Consider not doing your development work as superuser ;-)

> What is the definition of superuser? most of my users have the ability to
> createdb. This seems to give them superuser priveleges. Is that correct?

Somebody whose 'usesuper' flag is set in pg_shadow is a superuser.

IIRC, the CREATE USER command and createuser script mislabel that
feature as "ability to create other users", but it's really
superuserness.  Ability to create databases (usecreatedb flag in
pg_shadow) is a separate attribute that you can grant without granting
superuserness.

Also, you can try turning off 'usecatupd' in pg_shadow to make a
not-quite-so-super user (suffering from effects of exposure to
kryptonite, I suppose) but I am not sure exactly what that does or
how consistently it's applied.

            regards, tom lane

aaron@at.reportlab.dot.com (Aaron Watters)
Date:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:34:45 +0000 (UTC), justin@postgresql.org
(Justin Clift) wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>Does anyone have experience with report writers?  It's not something I
>know much about yet.
>
>Regards and best wishes,
>
>Justin Clift

Please have a look at ReportLab.  The free API will almost certainly
be useful.  http://www.reportlab.com

  -- Aaron Watters (cto)