Migrating from MS SQL 7

From
"Peter Morgan"
Date:
Anyone migrated from SQL server 7 to PostgreSQL

I'm considering this so I can replace my NT box with Linux for deployment
across a business.

Any advice would be appreciated

Pete

Re: Migrating from MS SQL 7

From
Alexander Jerusalem
Date:
Hi Peter,

I have done the same and for similar reasons. In general it worked fine.
The biggest problem with migration from SQL Server to almost any other
database is always that SQL Server uses case insensitive string comparisons
by default whereas other DBMSs use case sensitive comparisons and collation
order. Postgresql has two features that make your life easier in that
respect: You can use function based indexes with lower() and/or you can use
ILIKE instead of LIKE for case insensitive wildcard searches. There's some
other magic postgres can do with regular expressions but I don't know that
feature very well.

The other thing I trapped into only recently is that correlated subqueries
using IN don't use indexes in postgres and are therefore very slow. You can
work around that by using EXISTS instead. There's a note on this in the FAQ.

I'm also working with Oracle and my experience was that it's much harder
(and much more expensive) to migrate to Oracle because function based
indexes are only available in Oracle enterprise edition which truely costs
a fortune. And something like ILIKE doesn't exist in Oracle at all. I use
Oracle only in projects where a single database server is not enough for
scalability or high availability reasons so I need to use Oracle Parallel
Server.

When it comes to maintainance, you have to be aware, that you must run
vacuumdb on your postgresql database from time to time to keep good query
performance (especially if you have much update and delete activity). If
you do that, postgresql performance is comparable to SQL Server (I've not
done extensive performance testing though).

I have "shopped" around a lot for databases on Linux and tried some things.
Postgresql is by far the most powerful DBMS of those I have looked at. The
community is very helpful and the developers are doing a good job in
bringing up new features and fixing bugs. Above all Postgres runs very
stable, I never had mysterious standstills (like those I frequently
experienced with SQL Server 6.x)

Regards,

Alexander Jerusalem

At 16:56 18.03.01, Peter Morgan wrote:
>Anyone migrated from SQL server 7 to PostgreSQL
>
>I'm considering this so I can replace my NT box with Linux for deployment
>across a business.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated
>
>Pete

Re: Re: Migrating from MS SQL 7

From
"Poul L. Christiansen"
Date:
Shouldn't we have a "Migrating to PostgreSQL" section in the FAQ here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html ?

I remember learning this the hard way - from MS Access to PostgreSQL :(

Poul L. Christiansen

Alexander Jerusalem wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I have done the same and for similar reasons. In general it worked fine.
> The biggest problem with migration from SQL Server to almost any other
> database is always that SQL Server uses case insensitive string comparisons
> by default whereas other DBMSs use case sensitive comparisons and collation
> order. Postgresql has two features that make your life easier in that
> respect: You can use function based indexes with lower() and/or you can use
> ILIKE instead of LIKE for case insensitive wildcard searches. There's some
> other magic postgres can do with regular expressions but I don't know that
> feature very well.
>
> The other thing I trapped into only recently is that correlated subqueries
> using IN don't use indexes in postgres and are therefore very slow. You can
> work around that by using EXISTS instead. There's a note on this in the FAQ.
>
> I'm also working with Oracle and my experience was that it's much harder
> (and much more expensive) to migrate to Oracle because function based
> indexes are only available in Oracle enterprise edition which truely costs
> a fortune. And something like ILIKE doesn't exist in Oracle at all. I use
> Oracle only in projects where a single database server is not enough for
> scalability or high availability reasons so I need to use Oracle Parallel
> Server.
>
> When it comes to maintainance, you have to be aware, that you must run
> vacuumdb on your postgresql database from time to time to keep good query
> performance (especially if you have much update and delete activity). If
> you do that, postgresql performance is comparable to SQL Server (I've not
> done extensive performance testing though).
>
> I have "shopped" around a lot for databases on Linux and tried some things.
> Postgresql is by far the most powerful DBMS of those I have looked at. The
> community is very helpful and the developers are doing a good job in
> bringing up new features and fixing bugs. Above all Postgres runs very
> stable, I never had mysterious standstills (like those I frequently
> experienced with SQL Server 6.x)
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexander Jerusalem
>
> At 16:56 18.03.01, Peter Morgan wrote:
> >Anyone migrated from SQL server 7 to PostgreSQL
> >
> >I'm considering this so I can replace my NT box with Linux for deployment
> >across a business.
> >
> >Any advice would be appreciated
> >
> >Pete

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: Re: Migrating from MS SQL 7

Date:
> Shouldn't we have a "Migrating to PostgreSQL" section in the FAQ here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html ?
>
> I remember learning this the hard way - from MS Access to PostgreSQL :(

I do have something:

    ftp://candle.pha.pa.us/pub/postgresql/comparison.mbox

Seems this is the best we can do in a semi-objective way.

RE: Migrating from MS SQL 7

From
"Mayers, Philip J"
Date:
Yes - what do you want to know?

We moved over (successfully) because:

1) The major clients to the server are Unix machines, hence MSSQL server is
somewhat unsuitable
2) I prefer Postgres' system overall and have experience of it
3) The inet,cidr and macaddr types are very useful in our applications

My overall impression is that the MSSQL server might have been a bit quicker
in places, but not by much. One thing I did like from MSSQL was the jobs
(which are fast) and the GUI management tools for the less technically able.

Also, some of my colleagues have problems with the ODBC interface, but it
works fine for me.

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers, Network Support     |