RE: Migrating from MS SQL 7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mayers, Philip J
Subject RE: Migrating from MS SQL 7
Date
List pgsql-general
Yes - what do you want to know?

We moved over (successfully) because:

1) The major clients to the server are Unix machines, hence MSSQL server is
somewhat unsuitable
2) I prefer Postgres' system overall and have experience of it
3) The inet,cidr and macaddr types are very useful in our applications

My overall impression is that the MSSQL server might have been a bit quicker
in places, but not by much. One thing I did like from MSSQL was the jobs
(which are fast) and the GUI management tools for the less technically able.

Also, some of my colleagues have problems with the ODBC interface, but it
works fine for me.

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers, Network Support     |