Maximum size of one table

From
"Jonas Lindholm"
Date:
Can a table grow larger than maximum file size ?
E.g. will PG create an additional file for the table ?

I'm running PG 7.0.3 on Linux where the maximum file size is 2GB

Thanks
/Jonas Lindholm

Re: Maximum size of one table

From
jdassen@cistron.nl (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Date:
Jonas Lindholm <jonas.lindholm@omgroup.com> wrote:
>I'm running PG 7.0.3 on Linux where the maximum file size is 2GB

That's somewhat misleading. It's more accurate to state that GNU/Linux on
32bit architectures, for some combinations of kernel and C library, has a
maximum file size of 2GB.

Your options to have >2Gb files on GNU/Linux therefore include
- switching to a 64bit platform, say Alpha, Itanic or PowerPC64 or
- switching to a recent (>= 2.1) version of the GNU C library and a recent
  (e.g. 2.4.x) kernel.

HTH,
Ray
--
These days we're all supposed to believe that everyone's opinion is equally
valid, but sometimes you just have to stand up and say "Your opinion is

Re: Re: Maximum size of one table

Date:
jdassen@cistron.nl (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)) writes:
> Your options to have >2Gb files on GNU/Linux therefore include
> - switching to a 64bit platform, say Alpha, Itanic or PowerPC64 or
> - switching to a recent (>= 2.1) version of the GNU C library and a recent
>   (e.g. 2.4.x) kernel.

However, this is all irrelevant to Jonas' question, which is whether
he needs to worry about it for Postgres.  He doesn't.  PG splits large
tables into gigabyte-sized chunks to avoid OS file size limitations.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Maximum size of one table

From
"Brent R. Matzelle"
Date:
--- Jonas Lindholm <jonas.lindholm@omgroup.com> wrote:
> Can a table grow larger than maximum file size ?
> E.g. will PG create an additional file for the table ?
>
> I'm running PG 7.0.3 on Linux where the maximum file size is
> 2GB

The new Linux 2.4 kernel has blown away that file size barrier.
The new Large File Support (LFS) can now handle a monstrous 16
terabytes.  I compiled and have been running it on RedHat 7.0
for a couple months now.  The new kernel will also be included
in the upcoming 7.1 (Fisher) release of RedHat.

Brent

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Re: Maximum size of one table

From
Chris Jones
Date:
On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 08:35:08AM -0800, Brent R. Matzelle wrote:

> The new Linux 2.4 kernel has blown away that file size barrier.
> The new Large File Support (LFS) can now handle a monstrous 16
> terabytes.  I compiled and have been running it on RedHat 7.0
> for a couple months now.  The new kernel will also be included
> in the upcoming 7.1 (Fisher) release of RedHat.

Or you can use NetBSD, FreeBSD, or OpenBSD, which have had 64-bit
filesystems for years now.

Chris

--
chris@mt.sri.com -----------------------------------------------------
Chris Jones                                    SRI International, Inc.

Re: Maximum size of one table

From
"Poul L. Christiansen"
Date:
PG will split the table into several files, to avoid the 2GB limit.

But you might run into problems if you do a pg_dump and the output is >
2GB. The workaround is to use "gzip" and "split" or you could upgrade to
the newest kernel 2.4, which AFAIK doesn't have the 2GB limit.

Poul L. Christiansen

Jonas Lindholm wrote:

> Can a table grow larger than maximum file size ?
> E.g. will PG create an additional file for the table ?
>
> I'm running PG 7.0.3 on Linux where the maximum file size is 2GB
>
> Thanks
> /Jonas Lindholm

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Re: Maximum size of one table

From
"Jonas Lindholm"
Date:
Thanks, good news.

I'm also pleased to know that the file size limit has been removed with LFS
on Linux 2.4 and I'll give it a try.

/Jonas L.