[General] Comments

From
"Brian E. Pangburn"
Date:
1. Is it documented anywhere that an apostrophe / single quote is bad news
inside of a C-style /* .... */ comment?  I just found out the hard way.
Seems to be OK inside of the one line -- comment.
2. How does one view column comments created with COMMENT ON COLUMN?

TIA.
Brian E. Pangburn

Re: [General] Comments

Date:
> 1. Is it documented anywhere that an apostrophe / single quote is bad news
> inside of a C-style /* .... */ comment?  I just found out the hard way.
> Seems to be OK inside of the one line -- comment.

Seems to work here:

    test=> select *
    test-> /* 'test'
    test*> */
    test-> from pg_language;
     lanname  | lanispl | lanpltrusted | lanplcallfoid | lancompiler
    ----------+---------+--------------+---------------+-------------
     internal | f       | f            |             0 | n/a
     C        | f       | f            |             0 | /bin/cc
     sql      | f       | f            |             0 | postgres
    (3 rows)

> 2. How does one view column comments created with COMMENT ON COLUMN?

psql \d+ command.  Not sure if \dd works too.

Re: [General] Comments

Date:
"Brian E. Pangburn" <bepangburn@yahoo.com> writes:
> 1. Is it documented anywhere that an apostrophe / single quote is bad news
> inside of a C-style /* .... */ comment?  I just found out the hard way.

It is?  I can't find any problem.  Test case?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [General] Comments

From
"Brian E. Pangburn"
Date:
With the help of Bruce Momjian and Tom Lane I was able to resolve my two
issues:

In PG 7.0.x, the following won't work because of the single apostrophe:
> test=> select *
> test-> /* doesn't work...
> test'> */
> test'> from pg_language;

It is reportedly fixed for 7.1

The following will display any column comments for "mytable"
    \d+ mytable

Brian E. Pangburn