pg_hba.conf edit

From
Uro Gruber
Date:
Hi!

I want to know how to edit this file. Because is only for reading. Is
there any program to edit this. For now i chmod it to 600
end edit with my editor.

Any comments.

--
Uroš

Re: pg_hba.conf edit

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Uro Gruber wrote:

> I want to know how to edit this file. Because is only for reading. Is
> there any program to edit this. For now i chmod it to 600
> end edit with my editor.

That's the way you are supposed to do it!  Just make sure you make it
read-only after you are done.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
While most peoples' opinions change, the conviction of their
correctness never does.

Re: pg_hba.conf edit

Date:
"Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@chapelperilous.net> writes:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Uro Gruber wrote:
>> I want to know how to edit this file. Because is only for reading. Is
>> there any program to edit this. For now i chmod it to 600
>> end edit with my editor.

> That's the way you are supposed to do it!

Check.  Nothing fancy, just whip out your text editor...

> Just make sure you make it
> read-only after you are done.

You don't even have to do that.  The file lives in a directory that
is supposed to be mode 700, ie, no access to anyone but the postgres
user; so it doesn't much matter what the protections are on pg_hba.conf
itself.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_hba.conf edit

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Just make sure you make it
> > read-only after you are done.
>
> You don't even have to do that.  The file lives in a directory that
> is supposed to be mode 700, ie, no access to anyone but the postgres
> user; so it doesn't much matter what the protections are on pg_hba.conf
> itself.

I do it anyway, just cuz I need to protect me from my own stupidity
sometimes. ;-)

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Violence in reality is quite different from theory.
        -- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4