Re: date/time

From
"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)"
Date:
On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 23:09:26 +0100, snef wrote:
> But I can't seem to get Postgres use European time notation (dd/mm/yyyy).

Do
    SET DATESTYLE TO 'POSTGRES,EUROPEAN'
and use European time notation with hyphens, e.g.
    SELECT * FROM Foo WHERE start >= '31-12-2000'

> Where can I adjust this? (in which file?)

On my system, it's /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init, the "PGDATESTYLE"
setting.

HTH,
Ray
--
LWN normally tries to avoid talking much about Microsoft - it is simply
irrelevant to the free software world most of the time.

data dictionary

From
"Matthew Taylor"
Date:
Umm I must have missed it in the manual, (read it 3-4 times tho) but what is
the equivalent data dictionary structure in Postgres to the following in
Oracle.

Select table_name from user_tables;

(gives a list of the table names in the database(table space) used at the
time)

etc.... various special tables defining the data dictionary....

Re: data dictionary

From
"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)"
Date:
On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 21:29:41 +1100, Matthew Taylor wrote:
> Umm I must have missed it in the manual, (read it 3-4 times tho) but what
> is the equivalent data dictionary structure in Postgres to the following
> in Oracle.
>
> Select table_name from user_tables;

> etc.... various special tables defining the data dictionary....

PostgreSQL stores its meta-data in tables named pg_something, e.g. for
7.0.3:
pg_aggregate    pg_description  pg_listener     pg_statistic
pg_am           pg_group        pg_opclass      pg_tables
pg_amop         pg_index        pg_operator     pg_trigger
pg_amproc       pg_indexes      pg_proc         pg_type
pg_attrdef      pg_inheritproc  pg_relcheck     pg_user
pg_attribute    pg_inherits     pg_rewrite      pg_views
pg_class        pg_ipl          pg_rules
pg_database     pg_language     pg_shadow

(obtained by doing "select * from pg_" <TAB> in "psql")

HTH,
Ray
--
Would you rather be root or reboot?

Re: data dictionary

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Matthew Taylor wrote:

> Umm I must have missed it in the manual, (read it 3-4 times tho) but what is
> the equivalent data dictionary structure in Postgres to the following in
> Oracle.
>
> Select table_name from user_tables;
>
> (gives a list of the table names in the database(table space) used at the
> time)
>
> etc.... various special tables defining the data dictionary....

Take a look at pg_class and pg_tables (which is a view based on pg_class),
which are available for each schema:

select * from pg_tables where tableowner=CURRENT_USER;

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.
        -- Gloria Steinem