problem running initdb

From
"Mike Miller"
Date:
I am having a problem running initDB.  I followed installation instructions
exactly and have the data directory made and CDOWNed to postgre user.  Why
is it an unknown type ame?  Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance;
--
Mike (PS: Transcript of output follows)

]]]/usr/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/pgsql/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Fixing permissions on pre-existing data directory /usr/pgsql/data
Creating database system directory /usr/pgsql/data/base
Creating database XLOG directory /usr/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template database in /usr/pgsql/data/base/template1
ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.

ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.

Creating global relations in /usr/pgsql/data/base
ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.

ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.

Adding template1 database to pg_database
/usr/pgsql/bin/initdb: line 481:   739 Segmentation fault
"$PGPATH"/postgres $BACKENDARGS template1 <"$TEMPFILE"

initdb failed.

Re: problem running initdb

Date:
"Mike Miller" <temp6453@hotmail.com> writes:
> Fixing permissions on pre-existing data directory /usr/pgsql/data
> Creating database system directory /usr/pgsql/data/base
> Creating database XLOG directory /usr/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
> Creating template database in /usr/pgsql/data/base/template1
> ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.
>
> ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.

This looks suspiciously like initdb is picking up the wrong template
files.  Do you have an older PG version still installed on your machine?
Set environment variable PGLIB, or use the -L option to initdb, to point
it at the lib directory that corresponds to the version you are trying
to run.  Also make sure that your PATH finds the postgres executable
that is the version you want to run.

7.1's initdb tries to verify that everything is the right version, but
in older releases you have to be careful...

            regards, tom lane

Re: problem running initdb

From
"Mike Miller"
Date:
This is the first version of PostgreSQL I have _ever_ installed on this
machine, so there are no existing libraries.  As well, I tried -L
/usr/pgsql/lib and that didn't help the situation either.  I have also added
/usr/pgsql/bin to the path with no luck.

I am running postgresql-7.0.3, which appears to be the latest version of the
release that is not still considered beta.

Please help me out if you have any ideas
--
Mike

"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in message
>"Mike Miller" <temp6453@hotmail.com> writes:
> > Fixing permissions on pre-existing data directory /usr/pgsql/data
> > Creating database system directory /usr/pgsql/data/base
> > Creating database XLOG directory /usr/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
> > Creating template database in /usr/pgsql/data/base/template1
> > ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.
> >
> > ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.
>
>This looks suspiciously like initdb is picking up the wrong template
>files.  Do you have an older PG version still installed on your machine?
>Set environment variable PGLIB, or use the -L option to initdb, to point
>it at the lib directory that corresponds to the version you are trying
>to run.  Also make sure that your PATH finds the postgres executable
>that is the version you want to run.
>
>7.1's initdb tries to verify that everything is the right version, but
>in older releases you have to be careful...
>
>regards, tom lane

Re: problem running initdb

From
"Mike Miller"