How to set "auto commit" off in postgresql db?

From
"Guang Mei"
Hi:

It seems to me that postgresql db's default set for commit is "on". I would like to set it to "off". How could I do
that?

TIA.
----------
Here is what I got when testing:

webstore=> create table t1 (col1 varchar(10));
CREATE
webstore=> insert into t1 (col1) values ('test123');
INSERT 1006769 1
webstore=> select * from t1;
col1
---------
test123
(1 row)
webstore=> rollback;
NOTICE: ROLLBACK: no transaction in progress
ROLLBACK
webstore=> select * from t1;
col1
---------
test123
(1 row)

Re: How to set "auto commit" off in postgresql db?

From
"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)"
Date:
[Please don't mail in HTML]

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 21:02:56 -0000, Guang Mei wrote:
>    It seems to me that postgresql db's default set for commit is "on".

Erm, it's not PostgreSQL itself, but rather the "psql" interface.

> I would like to set it to "off". How could I do that?

By explicitly starting a transaction through "BEGIN WORK".

HTH,
Ray
--
FUD for dummies by example in 21 days Lesson 3: use braindead analogies.
"Open source raises various security issues. How many banks will tell you

Re: How to set "auto commit" off in postgresql db?

From
"Gregory Wood"
Date:
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all you have to do
is start a transaction. Example:

begin;
create table t1 (col1 varchar(10));
insert into t1 (col1) values ('test123');
rollback;

Greg