Casting money to numeric(10,2)

From
Ben Stringer
Date:
I'm trying to migrate several tables from a 6.5.2 DB to a
7.0.2 DB, and having trouble casting money (in the old DB)
to numeric(10,2) prior to doing a pg_dump.

I can create a table in the 6.5.2 DB with fields of type
numeric(10,2), but when I try and insert into this table

Ie.

insert
   into new (purchase_price)
select
   purchase_price::numeric(10,2)
from
   old
;

I get ERROR:  No such function 'numeric' with the specified attributes

I tried the 6.5.2 documentation, but it looked to me like this should
work.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Ben
 Ben Stringer
 Burbong Consultants P/L   ACN 092 664 198
 ben@burbong.com    http://www.burbong.com   ph 0402 211 638

Removing the row limit

From
"Mike Cannon-Brookes"
Date:
I'm using 7.0.2 I think, how can I remove the 8k row limit?

Is this removed in 7.1 ? If so, is it worth trying the beta of that? Or is
there another way to do it?

(I realise this question has probably been asked a hundred times, but I
can't find an answer in any of the online docs)

Cheers,
Mike

Mike Cannon-Brookes - Technology Director, Asia Pacific
internet.com Corporation - The Internet Industry Portal
Ph: (612) 9290 1088 - Mob: 0416 106090

- The Media Network @ http://australia.internet.com
- Meet A Guru @ http://www.breakfastforums.com.au
- Subscribe Online @ http://www.enewsletters.com.au

Re: Removing the row limit

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 04:25:07PM +1100, Mike Cannon-Brookes wrote:
> I'm using 7.0.2 I think, how can I remove the 8k row limit?

You can recompile and up the page size to ~32K, use large objects,
or upgrade to 7.1

> Is this removed in 7.1 ? If so, is it worth trying the beta of that? Or is
> there another way to do it?

There are others ways (see above), but I'd suggest upgrading. I've
been running 7.1 from CVS for a while now (for development) without
any major problems.

> (I realise this question has probably been asked a hundred times, but I
> can't find an answer in any of the online docs)

The mailing list archives would probably have lots of answers to this.

HTH,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@home.com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.
        -- Homer J. Simpson

Re: Casting money to numeric(10,2)

Date:
Ben Stringer <ben@magicrock.net> writes:
> I'm trying to migrate several tables from a 6.5.2 DB to a
> 7.0.2 DB, and having trouble casting money (in the old DB)
> to numeric(10,2) prior to doing a pg_dump.

Hm.  It doesn't seem that there is a cast path from money to anything,
even in latest sources.  You might have to resort to dumping the table
as-is, then editing the dump file to change the column type from money
to numeric in the CREATE TABLE (and edit out all the dollar signs and
commas in the data, too).  Ugh.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Removing the row limit

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Beta 3 of 7.1 has been released.  You won't have to worry about the row
limit and you'll also help check for any possible bugs. :)

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com