is there a vendor independent C API for DB development?

From
mkennedy@hssinc.com (Matthew Kennedy)
Date:
Does anyone know of a RDBMS vendor independent C API which supports
PostgreSQL? I'm looking for something similar to Perl DBI and Java's
JDBC, but in C.

Matthew

--
Matthew Kennedy
Opus Healthcare Solutions, Inc.

Re: is there a vendor independent C API for DB development?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Matthew Kennedy writes:

> Does anyone know of a RDBMS vendor independent C API which supports
> PostgreSQL? I'm looking for something similar to Perl DBI and Java's
> JDBC, but in C.

Embedded SQL, a.k.a ECPG in the PostgreSQL case.  See Programmer's Guide
and ecpg(1).  Embedded SQL is a bit unusual at first glance -- because of
the "embedded" thing -- but it works and it is supported by other DBs.

There's a new standard called SQL CLI (call level interface) which has
more of a libpq feeling to it, but PostgreSQL doesn't have it and I don't
think too many other products do either.

Re: is there a vendor independent C API for DB development?

From
"Andrew W. Nosenko"
Date:
Matthew Kennedy wrote:
:
: Does anyone know of a RDBMS vendor independent C API which supports
: PostgreSQL? I'm looking for something similar to Perl DBI and Java's
: JDBC, but in C.
May be ODBC is what you search?

--
Andrew W. Nosenko    (awn@bcs.zp.ua)