Re: is there a vendor independent C API for DB development? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: is there a vendor independent C API for DB development?
Date
List pgsql-general
Matthew Kennedy writes:

> Does anyone know of a RDBMS vendor independent C API which supports
> PostgreSQL? I'm looking for something similar to Perl DBI and Java's
> JDBC, but in C.

Embedded SQL, a.k.a ECPG in the PostgreSQL case.  See Programmer's Guide
and ecpg(1).  Embedded SQL is a bit unusual at first glance -- because of
the "embedded" thing -- but it works and it is supported by other DBs.

There's a new standard called SQL CLI (call level interface) which has
more of a libpq feeling to it, but PostgreSQL doesn't have it and I don't
think too many other products do either.