Version 7.1 when??

From
"Esa Pikkarainen"
Date:
Hi,
is there any time frame for version 7.1 ?

(even in months or years)

thanks
Esa Pikkarainen

Re: Version 7.1 when??

From
"Gordan Bobic"
Date:
And when will RPMs of the betas be available? The response keeps being
"next weekend" for about three or four weeks now...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Esa Pikkarainen" <epikkara@ktk.oulu.fi>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 10:13 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] Version 7.1 when??

> Hi,
> is there any time frame for version 7.1 ?
>
> (even in months or years)
>
> thanks
> Esa Pikkarainen

Re: Version 7.1 when??

From
Alfred Perlstein
Date:

* Gordan Bobic <gordan@freeuk.com> [010108 03:34] wrote:
> And when will RPMs of the betas be available? The response keeps being
> "next weekend" for about three or four weeks now...

I'm pretty curious as to why you guys are so eager to have a release
before the developers get a chance to do a proper QA cycle on it.

thanks,
-Alfred

Re: Version 7.1 when??

From
"Esa Pikkarainen"
Date:
Alfred Perlstein wrote (8 Jan 01,):
> [...]

Well, I am not eager to push the release before it is ready. I am
just eager to know when it possibly will be. (It has consequences on
our life: will we try to configure the current or wait for 7.1)

BTW what actually meas QA cycle?
(Sorry I an not native in English neither in computer language)

Thanks
Esa Pikkarainen

Re: Re: Version 7.1 when??

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
* Esa Pikkarainen <epikkara@ktk.oulu.fi> [010108 05:59]:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote (8 Jan 01,):

It's due within a month or so (we are at Beta 2 right now).

> BTW what actually meas QA cycle?
> (Sorry I an not native in English neither in computer language)
QA= Quality Assurance.  I.E. make sure there are no major bugs in the
code.

> Thanks
> Esa Pikkarainen

Re: Re: Version 7.1 when??

From
Frank Joerdens
Date:
Esa Pikkarainen wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein wrote (8 Jan 01,):

Quality Assurance =
^       ^

Making sure that it has no critical bugs and as a few non-critical issues as possible upon
release by going through a fully fledged beta-testing phase.

Regards, Frank

Re: Version 7.1 when??

From
"Gordan Bobic"
Date:
> * Gordan Bobic <gordan@freeuk.com> [010108 03:34] wrote:
> > And when will RPMs of the betas be available? The response keeps being
> > "next weekend" for about three or four weeks now...
>
> I'm pretty curious as to why you guys are so eager to have a release
> before the developers get a chance to do a proper QA cycle on it.

Because we need some of the newly implemented features (joins, limit and
order by in views, large record size, etc) in order to be able to sensibly
continue working on some of the systems we are implementing, perhaps? Seen
as the systems are still being implemented, 100% reliability and
depensability is not absolutely necessary yet, but some of the things that
can be done in 7.1 would require pointless temporary work-arounds that
would just be thrown away.

How's that for an answer?

Regards.

Gordon

Re: Re: Version 7.1 when??

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Esa Pikkarainen wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein wrote (8 Jan 01,):

Quality&Assurance ...

Beta1 went out on Dec 7th ... Beta2 was planned for Friday last, but Tom
found a bug that he wanted to fix, so should be going out tonight or
tomorrow ... mid-Feb at this rate, for v7.1 to go out as a release ..

Re: Version 7.1 when??

Date:
Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> writes:
> I'm pretty curious as to why you guys are so eager to have a release
> before the developers get a chance to do a proper QA cycle on it.

The developers would rather like people to try to use the beta versions.
The bulk of the QA work around here gets done that way, you know.  We
can't possibly hit the system with as many varied test cases as our
user population will.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Version 7.1 when??

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Gordan Bobic wrote:

> And when will RPMs of the betas be available? The response keeps being
> "next weekend" for about three or four weeks now...

When they are available, that fact will be posted to the pgsql-hackers
mailing list, not pgsql-general.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio