Using Postgres with Access 2000

From
Scott Teglasi
Date:
Hello.  I am trying to use Microsoft Access 2000 with Postgresql 7.0.2
installed on a Mandrake 7.2 box.  I have configured my ODBC driver and DSN
on the windows box, and have configured Postgresql to allow my machine to
connect, and have installed its ODBC driver as well.  I can view and edit
tables, however I'm unable to add new records to any of the tables that I've
created using pgaccess.  My question is, how can I allow people to add
records to tables using access, and also, is there a way to create new
tables on the postgres server using Access as well?

A reply would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Scott Teglasi

RE: Using Postgres with Access 2000

From
Scott Teglasi
Date:
Let me rephrase my words. :)
I have created postgresql tables with pgaccess.  I am unable to add new
records to those tables using Microsoft Access 2000.  How do I remedy this
situation, and also, is there a way to create tables within Microsoft Access
2000 on the Postgresql server.

appologies for any confusion.. :)

Scott Teglasi

Hello.  I am trying to use Microsoft Access 2000 with Postgresql 7.0.2
installed on a Mandrake 7.2 box.  I have configured my ODBC driver and DSN
on the windows box, and have configured Postgresql to allow my machine to
connect, and have installed its ODBC driver as well.  I can view and edit
tables, however I'm unable to add new records to any of the tables that I've
created using pgaccess.  My question is, how can I allow people to add
records to tables using access, and also, is there a way to create new
tables on the postgres server using Access as well?

A reply would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Scott Teglasi

RE: Using Postgres with Access 2000

From
Michael Davis
Date:
1) Make sure the odbc data source you are using has the read only flag checked off.
2) Create a primary key index for the table.  Access97 requires a primary key or it will not allow you to edit or add
anyrows.

Hello.  I am trying to use Microsoft Access 2000 with Postgresql 7.0.2
installed on a Mandrake 7.2 box.  I have configured my ODBC driver and DSN
on the windows box, and have configured Postgresql to allow my machine to
connect, and have installed its ODBC driver as well.  I can view and edit
tables, however I'm unable to add new records to any of the tables that I've
created using pgaccess.  My question is, how can I allow people to add
records to tables using access, and also, is there a way to create new
tables on the postgres server using Access as well?

A reply would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Scott Teglasi

Re: RE: Using Postgres with Access 2000

From
"Joel Burton"
Date:
> Let me rephrase my words. :)
> I have created postgresql tables with pgaccess.  I am unable to add
> new records to those tables using Microsoft Access 2000.  How do I
> remedy this situation, and also, is there a way to create tables
> within Microsoft Access 2000 on the Postgresql server.

Questions about Access + Pg are most appropriate to pgsql-
interfaces, BTW.

By default, ODBC connections to Pg are read-only. Did you turn off
BOTH read-only option boxes?

You can create tables by using the DDL statement as a 'Pass-
through query' in Access.

More complete answers can be found in the Pg+Access FAQ at
www.scw.org/pgaccess.

Good luck,

--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton@scw.org