Trip to Japan

Date:
I have just returned from a seven-day trip to Japan.  I spoke for seven
hours to three separate groups, totalling 200 people.  I spoke to a
Linux Conference, a PostgreSQL user's group, and to SRA, a PostgreSQL
support company. You can get more information on my home page under
"Writings".  Here are some pictures from Japan:

    http://www.sra.co.jp/people/t-ishii/Bruce/
        http://ebony.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/~yasuda/BRUCE/

PostgreSQL is more popular in Japan than in the United States.  Japan
has user's groups in many cities and has had a commercial support
company (SRA) for two years.  MySQL is not popular in Japan.

It was great to meet so many nice people.

Regular expression question

From
Steve Heaven
Date:
Does the regular expression parser have anything equivalent to Perl's \w
word boundary metacharacter?

I want to select tuples where a text field contains a certail whole word.
Using fieldname ~* 'searchword' wont work because it picks up the
searchword emdedded in other words. Using ~*' searchword ' wont find it at
the beginning or end of the string.
So far we have:
 field ~*' searchword ' OR field ~*'^searchword ' OR field ~*' searchword$'
but I would like something more elegant.

Steve

--
thorNET  - Internet Consultancy, Services & Training
Phone: 01454 854413

Re: Regular expression question

Date:
Steve Heaven <steve@thornet.co.uk> writes:
> Does the regular expression parser have anything equivalent to Perl's \w
> word boundary metacharacter?

src/backend/regex/re_format.7 contains the whole scoop (for some reason
this page doesn't seem to get installed with the rest of the
documentation).  In particular:

    There are two special cases of bracket expressions:
    the bracket expressions `[[:<:]]' and `[[:>:]]' match the null
    string at the beginning and end of a word respectively.
    A word is defined as a sequence of word characters
    which is neither preceded nor followed by word characters.
    A word character is an alnum character (as defined by ctype(3))
    or an underscore.  This is an extension, compatible with but not
    specified by POSIX 1003.2, and should be used with caution in
    software intended to be portable to other systems.

    BUGS

    The syntax for word boundaries is incredibly ugly.

POSIX bracket expressions are pretty ugly anyway, and this is no worse
than the rest.  However, if you prefer Perl or Tcl, I'd recommend that
you just *use* Perl or Tcl ;-).  plperl and pltcl make great
implementation languages for text-mashing functions...

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Trip to Japan

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Bruce,

what was the camera ?

    Regards,
        Oleg
On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:07:56 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
> To: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>
> Subject: [HACKERS] Trip to Japan
>
> I have just returned from a seven-day trip to Japan.  I spoke for seven
> hours to three separate groups, totalling 200 people.  I spoke to a
> Linux Conference, a PostgreSQL user's group, and to SRA, a PostgreSQL
> support company. You can get more information on my home page under
> "Writings".  Here are some pictures from Japan:
>
>     http://www.sra.co.jp/people/t-ishii/Bruce/
>         http://ebony.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/~yasuda/BRUCE/
>
> PostgreSQL is more popular in Japan than in the United States.  Japan
> has user's groups in many cities and has had a commercial support
> company (SRA) for two years.  MySQL is not popular in Japan.
>
> It was great to meet so many nice people.

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83