Tuple size limits and upgrading

From
"Gordan Bobic"
Date:
Hi!

I've got a bit of a problem with tuple size limits. They seem to be limited
to 8K, which is not enough for me, in the current application. Ideally, I'd
like to bump this up to at least 256K, although 512K would be nice. This is
for the purpose of storing large text fields, although it's usefulness
might be extended for storing binary data as well (e.g. large images).

Is there a way to allow records (tuples) to have arbitrary size?

A fair majority of the text files I am storing in the database fits into
records despite the 8K limit. However, there is a substantial number of
those that don't. The biggest ones can go up to 512KB and beyond, but this
is somewhat uncommon.

I have read in the archives that this can be modified by changing a few
parameters and re-compiling. What is the limit to which the record size can
be increased? Does this setting seriously hammer performance (even if there
are only comparatively few records of this size)?

The problem is that I would like to keep the way things are working,
including directory structures, and I am not sure how to do this if I
re-compile from source, as that will put everything into /usr/local.

I am running RH Linux 6.2, upgraded to PGSQL 7.0.1, and files are in
/var/lib/pgsql and /usr/lib/pgsql, and non-/usr/local locations.

How can I upgrade to a customized version of 7.0.3 while keeping all the
files in the same place? I know I can use the SRPM distribution, but just
doing rpm --rebuild doesn't let me tweak the parameter in need to change.

Can anybody suggest a way of doing this?

Thanks.

Gordan

Re: Tuple size limits and upgrading

From
"Igor' Robul'"
Date:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 10:36:20AM -0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> like to bump this up to at least 256K, although 512K would be nice. This is
> for the purpose of storing large text fields, although it's usefulness
If you don't need make index on this text field, and indexing BIG text
is not very good, you can store big text into BLOB
> might be extended for storing binary data as well (e.g. large images).
For binary data use BLOBs

--
Igor' Robul', Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia

Re: Tuple size limits and upgrading

From
"Gordan Bobic"
Date:
Sorry for replying to my own email, but I've just stumbled upon an article
that seems to imply that v7.1 will support unlimited record lengths. Is
this the case? When is v7.1 due for release? Is a beta available?

Thanks.

Gordan

> I've got a bit of a problem with tuple size limits. They seem to be
limited
> to 8K, which is not enough for me, in the current application. Ideally,
I'd
> like to bump this up to at least 256K, although 512K would be nice. This
is
> for the purpose of storing large text fields, although it's usefulness
> might be extended for storing binary data as well (e.g. large images).
>
> Is there a way to allow records (tuples) to have arbitrary size?
>
> A fair majority of the text files I am storing in the database fits into
> records despite the 8K limit. However, there is a substantial number of
> those that don't. The biggest ones can go up to 512KB and beyond, but
this
> is somewhat uncommon.
>
> I have read in the archives that this can be modified by changing a few
> parameters and re-compiling. What is the limit to which the record size
can
> be increased? Does this setting seriously hammer performance (even if
there
> are only comparatively few records of this size)?
>
> The problem is that I would like to keep the way things are working,
> including directory structures, and I am not sure how to do this if I
> re-compile from source, as that will put everything into /usr/local.
>
> I am running RH Linux 6.2, upgraded to PGSQL 7.0.1, and files are in
> /var/lib/pgsql and /usr/lib/pgsql, and non-/usr/local locations.
>
> How can I upgrade to a customized version of 7.0.3 while keeping all the
> files in the same place? I know I can use the SRPM distribution, but just
> doing rpm --rebuild doesn't let me tweak the parameter in need to change.
>
> Can anybody suggest a way of doing this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gordan

Re: Tuple size limits and upgrading

From
"Martin A. Marques"
Date:
On Tuesday 28 November 2000 10:56, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Sorry for replying to my own email, but I've just stumbled upon an article
> that seems to imply that v7.1 will support unlimited record lengths. Is
> this the case? When is v7.1 due for release? Is a beta available?

The last thing I heard was that it was scheduled to be out in February.
You can download a pre-beta version via CVS. Check the postgres web site.

Saludos... ;-)

--
"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar