I loose my history keys using psql...

From
Houbrechts Didier
Date:
I don't know how I did but ...
I loose my history in psql (I can't use the arrows anymore...)
Can somebody tell me how to recovert  them ?
Do  I have to recompile postgres or re ... initdb ?
Thanks for help
A beginner ...

Re: I loose my history keys using psql...

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
I lost that feature when I upgraded.  Someone mentioned that it involves
ncurses... I just never looked into fixing it, but check to see if something
is screwed up with your ncurses libraries.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
----- Original Message -----
From: "Houbrechts Didier" <dhoubrechts@cybernet.be>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 5:55 PM
Subject: [GENERAL] I loose my history keys using psql...

Date:
On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> I lost that feature when I upgraded.  Someone mentioned that it involves
> ncurses... I just never looked into fixing it, but check to see if something
> is screwed up with your ncurses libraries.

Actually, I think the functionality is supplied by the GNU readline
library.  If the library isn't found on your system, it won't be compiled
into Postgres (or perhaps the binary rpm/deb package doesn't have the
support compiled in).

Brett W. McCoy
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
October 12, the Discovery.

It was wonderful to find America, but it would have been more wonderful to miss
it.

Re: I loose my history keys using psql...

Date:
>> I loose my history in psql (I can't use the arrows anymore...)

psql relies on the GNU readline library for history.  readline has
existed in a remarkable number of different versions, and sometimes
our configure script fails to realize that you have it installed.
I'd recommend that you install the latest readline from a GNU archive,
then re-run configure and rebuild postgres.  You don't need to initdb,
just install the new psql executable.

If you're using an RPM installation of readline, note that you must
install readline's devel RPM as well as the executable.  Else you
won't have the include files for it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: I loose my history keys using psql...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Houbrechts Didier writes:

> I don't know how I did but ...
> I loose my history in psql (I can't use the arrows anymore...)
> Can somebody tell me how to recovert  them ?
> Do  I have to recompile postgres or re ... initdb ?
> Thanks for help
> A beginner ...

Operating system?