Error building JDBC Driver

From
Michael Labhard
Date:
When attempting to build JDBC 7.0 driver with "make jdbc2 jar", the following
error occurs:

    org.postgresql.Connection.java: Can't find class org/postgresql/Field

Any ideas?  Thanks.

RE:Error building JDBC Driver

From
Mark Kirkwood
Previously:

>When attempting to build JDBC 7.0 driver with "make jdbc2 jar", the
following
>error occurs:
 >
 >       org.postgresql.Connection.java: Can't find class
org/postgresql/Field

>Any ideas?  Thanks.

I encountered this error when using an older JDK ( < 1.2 )

Downloading 1.2.2 from Sun sorted the problem...

( If you have both installed, watch out for the order the occur in your
path.... )

Cheers

Mark

Re: Error building JDBC Driver

Date:
I think the problem is using kaffe.  I downloaded the jdbc binary from
Peter's web site at:

    http://www.retep.org.uk

and that worked with kaffe.  Seems kaffe can not handle dependencies
properly.

> When attempting to build JDBC 7.0 driver with "make jdbc2 jar", the following
> error occurs:
>
>     org.postgresql.Connection.java: Can't find class org/postgresql/Field
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks.

Re: Error building JDBC Driver

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think the problem is using kaffe.  I downloaded the jdbc binary from
> Peter's web site at:
>
>         http://www.retep.org.uk
>
> and that worked with kaffe.  Seems kaffe can not handle dependencies
> properly.

Well, yeah. "make jdbc2" won't work with kaffe, since it is java 1.1

> > When attempting to build JDBC 7.0 driver with "make jdbc2 jar", the following
> > error occurs:
> >
> >       org.postgresql.Connection.java: Can't find class org/postgresql/Field
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thanks.

Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net
Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

Re: Error building JDBC Driver

From
Peter Mount
Date:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think the problem is using kaffe.  I downloaded the jdbc binary from
> Peter's web site at:
>
>     http://www.retep.org.uk
>
> and that worked with kaffe.  Seems kaffe can not handle dependencies
> properly.

Yes, kaffe cannot handle compiling two classes that refer to each other
(while all other implementations can, and it's part of the java language
specification).

I've just put up a pre-compiled binary for Java2 only based on the current
sources, as some people have been asking for it.

Peter

Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/
Java PDF Generator http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf/

Date:
Peter Mount wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I think the problem is using kaffe.  I downloaded the jdbc binary from
> > Peter's web site at:
> >
> >       http://www.retep.org.uk
> >
> > and that worked with kaffe.  Seems kaffe can not handle dependencies
> > properly.
>
> Yes, kaffe cannot handle compiling two classes that refer to each other
> (while all other implementations can, and it's part of the java language
> specification).
>
> I've just put up a pre-compiled binary for Java2 only based on the current
> sources, as some people have been asking for it.

Current sources means the current released source or the current cvs
source?

--

Date:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I think the problem is using kaffe.  I downloaded the jdbc binary from
> > Peter's web site at:
> >
> >     http://www.retep.org.uk
> >
> > and that worked with kaffe.  Seems kaffe can not handle dependencies
> > properly.
>
> Yes, kaffe cannot handle compiling two classes that refer to each other
> (while all other implementations can, and it's part of the java language
> specification).

Yes, that is exactly what I found, and reported it to kaffe group.

Date:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> Peter Mount wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > I think the problem is using kaffe.  I downloaded the jdbc binary from
> > > Peter's web site at:
> > >
> > >       http://www.retep.org.uk
> > >
> > > and that worked with kaffe.  Seems kaffe can not handle dependencies
> > > properly.
> >
> > Yes, kaffe cannot handle compiling two classes that refer to each other
> > (while all other implementations can, and it's part of the java language
> > specification).
> >
> > I've just put up a pre-compiled binary for Java2 only based on the current
> > sources, as some people have been asking for it.
> >

> Current sources means the current released source or the current cvs
> source?

Current CVS source.

Peter

--

Date:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > I think the problem is using kaffe.  I downloaded the jdbc binary from
> > > Peter's web site at:
> > >
> > >     http://www.retep.org.uk
> > >
> > > and that worked with kaffe.  Seems kaffe can not handle dependencies
> > > properly.
> >
> > Yes, kaffe cannot handle compiling two classes that refer to each other
> > (while all other implementations can, and it's part of the java language
> > specification).
>
> Yes, that is exactly what I found, and reported it to kaffe group.

Yes, I remember now you saying you had...

Peter