Error with tcp/ip networking

From
"Travis Bauer"
Date:
I'm getting:

FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
        Is another postmaster already running on that port?
        If not, wait a few seconds and retry.

when I use postmaster with the -i option.  Yes, I already deleted the
/tmp/?????.5432 files.  When I run postmaster without -i, it works fine, but
no tcp/ip access.  I had it working with tcp/ip once, but I had a nasty
crash for other reasons, and postmaster did not get a chance to exit
normally.

What did I miss?  I'm running it on a solaris workstation.

Travis Bauer

Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

Date:
"Travis Bauer" <trbauer@cs.indiana.edu> writes:
> I'm getting:
> FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
>         Is another postmaster already running on that port?
>         If not, wait a few seconds and retry.

> when I use postmaster with the -i option.  Yes, I already deleted the
> /tmp/?????.5432 files.  When I run postmaster without -i, it works fine, but
> no tcp/ip access.

Well, the /tmp files are for non-TCP (Unix socket) communication, so
they're not relevant to this failure.  The postmaster is complaining
because it can't get ownership of the 5432 TCP port number.  I'm betting
that you have another postmaster process still hanging around, or else
(much less likely, but possible) some unrelated program that happens to
have grabbed onto the 5432 TCP port number.

Try using 'netstat' to see if 5432 is in use...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

From
Jules Bean
Date:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 01:33:35AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Travis Bauer" <trbauer@cs.indiana.edu> writes:
> > I'm getting:
> > FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
> >         Is another postmaster already running on that port?
> >         If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
>
> > when I use postmaster with the -i option.  Yes, I already deleted the
> > /tmp/?????.5432 files.  When I run postmaster without -i, it works fine, but
> > no tcp/ip access.
>
> Well, the /tmp files are for non-TCP (Unix socket) communication, so
> they're not relevant to this failure.  The postmaster is complaining
> because it can't get ownership of the 5432 TCP port number.  I'm betting
> that you have another postmaster process still hanging around, or else
> (much less likely, but possible) some unrelated program that happens to
> have grabbed onto the 5432 TCP port number.
>
> Try using 'netstat' to see if 5432 is in use...

Note that on some OSes, a killed process's server ports aren't
released for a minute or two, so it can take a minute or two before
you can start postmaster again. This isn't a problem if the processes
are cleanly shutdown, normally.

Jules

Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

From
Travis Bauer
Date:
Well, there were two other copies of postgress running, and at least one
was tying up port 5432, but . . .

I couldn't see them with 'ps' or 'ps -a', netstat did not list them as
using a port, but it did list something as having "Active UNIX domain
sockets," listing the tmp files I had deleted yesterday as the socket
location (it didn't name postmaster with them).  I found it by making my
xterm quit long and running top.  The showed up as being owned by
me.  Now I'm back in business, but I don't understand why they didn't
show up in ps or ps -a.

Thanks,.

Travis Bauer | CS Grad Student | IU |www.cs.indiana.edu/~trbauer

Date:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 07:30:36AM -0500, Travis Bauer wrote:
> Well, there were two other copies of postgress running, and at least one
> was tying up port 5432, but . . .
>
> I couldn't see them with 'ps' or 'ps -a', netstat did not list them as
> using a port, but it did list something as having "Active UNIX domain
> sockets," listing the tmp files I had deleted yesterday as the socket
> location (it didn't name postmaster with them).  I found it by making my
> xterm quit long and running top.  The showed up as being owned by
> me.  Now I'm back in business, but I don't understand why they didn't
> show up in ps or ps -a.

I daresay you wanted ps -ax, since they didn't have a controlling terminal.

In future, always use ps -auwx before assuming a process doesn't exist
-- that catches them all. (Except on some SYSV-style pses, in which
case you want ps -ef, I think)

Jules

Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

From
Ian Turner
Date:

Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

Date:
Travis Bauer <trbauer@cs.indiana.edu> writes:
> Well, there were two other copies of postgress running, and at least one
> was tying up port 5432, but . . .
> I couldn't see them with 'ps' or 'ps -a',

ps -a only lists processes that it thinks are spawned from interactive
sessions.  You need ps -ax to see everything on the system.

> netstat did not list them as using a port,

Actually I think netstat only shows open connections, not processes
listening for connections.  Does anyone know a (reasonably portable)
way of seeing which port numbers are being accept()ed on?

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 10:15:50AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > netstat did not list them as using a port,
>
> Actually I think netstat only shows open connections, not processes
> listening for connections.  Does anyone know a (reasonably portable)
> way of seeing which port numbers are being accept()ed on?

netstat -a

(often netstat -an cuts out the time-consuming DNS lookups).

Jules

Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

From
Bob Parkinson
Date:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Actually I think netstat only shows open connections, not processes
> listening for connections.  Does anyone know a (reasonably portable)
> way of seeing which port numbers are being accept()ed on?
>
>             regards, tom lane

how about lsof, at:

ftp://cc.vic.purdue.edu/

omni:rwp> lsof -i | grep post
postgres  14054 postgres    3u  inet 0x64b0f900      0t0   TCP *:5432
(LISTEN)

Bob Parkinson
rwp@biome.ac.uk
Technical Manager:         Biome             http://biome.ac.uk/

Greenfield Medical Library,
Queens Medical Centre,
Nottingham.                          0115 9249924 x 42059
                        We are stardust

Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

From
Steve Heaven
Date:
At 10:15 31/08/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>Actually I think netstat only shows open connections, not processes
>listening for connections.  Does anyone know a (reasonably portable)
>way of seeing which port numbers are being accept()ed on?

netstat -a | grep LISTEN

works on most UNIX flavours

Re: Error with tcp/ip networking

From
ERIC Lawson - x52010
Date:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Actually I think netstat only shows open connections, not processes
> listening for connections.  Does anyone know a (reasonably portable)
> way of seeing which port numbers are being accept()ed on?
>
>             regards, tom lane

netstat -l shows listening active connections and sockets (on most Linux
systems).

James Eric Lawson
Research Publications Editor III
National Simulation Resource

eric@bioeng.washington.edu

Everyday language is a part of the human organism and is no less
complicated than it. - Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951) [Tractatus
Logico-Philosophicus, 1921]

From
"Stuart Foster"
Date: