List of Large sites using Postgres

From
"Oakley "
Date:
I know this may be at least somewhat off the topic in this group, but I figured all of you would be better capable of
givinga good answer =)

Our company is *finally* toying with the idea of chaning our DB's over to Postgres from Sybase. What they are asking me
isif there are any *large* sites using it. Anyone Anyone? By large, I am rather certain they are referring to such
thingsas lycos, yahoo, etc... I do believe the concern here is that we host a few sites that use a database backend,
andthose sites generate at least 20 million hits a month, and they dont want them to die if we were to change things...

Any links or whatever would be GREATLY appreciated =)

Thanks

Re: List of Large sites using Postgres

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
good place to scan (and add your project) is:

        http://www.pgsql.com/register/

Just a quick scan through, stuff that mean something to me:

Canadian Tire (Canada-wide Automotive and More chain)
http://www.pgsql.com/register/full.php?oid=25323392

Oxford University
http://www.pgsql.com/register/full.php?oid=22276827

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

RE: List of Large sites using Postgres

From
"Robert D. Nelson"
Date:
>lycos, yahoo, etc... I do believe the concern here is that we host a few
>sites that use a database backend, and those sites generate at least 20
>million hits a month, and they dont want them to die if we were to change
>things...

I do believe that you should start by telling management than any changes,
regardless of what you move to (be it Oracle, SQL server, Sybase, Postgres,
or anything else) will be accompanied by some pitfalls. Everyone knows this,
but conveniently forgets it when they can more easily pin the blame on you.
Make sure you voice these concerns well before anything happens, so that
it's a concious decision to go do something that will cause some pitfalls,
no matter how well the conversion goes. It will also make it easier for you
when something breaks, you have to tell your boss, and he tells you "I knew
we shouldn't have gone with Postgres!", even tho it was something as simple
as a typo in the converted code ;)

That's all the advice I have for you, and I'd like to see the large list
myself...

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us

Re: List of Large sites using Postgres

From
Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira
Date:
    Oh.
    I forget this thread.
    Anyone knows a great web site backed by PostgreSQL?
    Thanks,        Paulo Henrique
Quoting Robert D. Nelson (RDNELSON@co.centre.pa.us):