RE: List of Large sites using Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert D. Nelson
Subject RE: List of Large sites using Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
>lycos, yahoo, etc... I do believe the concern here is that we host a few
>sites that use a database backend, and those sites generate at least 20
>million hits a month, and they dont want them to die if we were to change
>things...

I do believe that you should start by telling management than any changes,
regardless of what you move to (be it Oracle, SQL server, Sybase, Postgres,
or anything else) will be accompanied by some pitfalls. Everyone knows this,
but conveniently forgets it when they can more easily pin the blame on you.
Make sure you voice these concerns well before anything happens, so that
it's a concious decision to go do something that will cause some pitfalls,
no matter how well the conversion goes. It will also make it easier for you
when something breaks, you have to tell your boss, and he tells you "I knew
we shouldn't have gone with Postgres!", even tho it was something as simple
as a typo in the converted code ;)

That's all the advice I have for you, and I'd like to see the large list
myself...

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us