Connecting to PostgreSQL databases

From
wil van der wee
Date:
Hi all,

I'am running a small home network with a Linux server running PostgreSQL
and a few Win98 client machines.

I can access databases from my Linux PC with psql and from Xwindows with
pgaccess. But I'am still not able to access the database(s) from my
Win98 machines. Is PostgreSQL only for UNIX operating systems or can it
also be accessed from f.i. Win98 or Win2000? I have red all the
postgreSQL documatation but can not find anything about this. The only
thing mentioned is that it is possible to run pgaccess on Win98 and
Win2000,
but it does not mention how this is done. Can somebody help me to find
some docu about this or any suggestion(s) are welcome.

The second question is: is it possible to store, databases made with
microsofts access, on my PostgreSQL server running on Linux?

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

bibi

Wil

Re: Connecting to PostgreSQL databases

From
Mathieu Arnold

wil van der wee wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'am running a small home network with a Linux server running PostgreSQL
> and a few Win98 client machines.
>
> I can access databases from my Linux PC with psql and from Xwindows with
> pgaccess. But I'am still not able to access the database(s) from my
> Win98 machines. Is PostgreSQL only for UNIX operating systems or can it
> also be accessed from f.i. Win98 or Win2000? I have red all the
> postgreSQL documatation but can not find anything about this. The only
> thing mentioned is that it is possible to run pgaccess on Win98 and
> Win2000,
> but it does not mention how this is done. Can somebody help me to find
> some docu about this or any suggestion(s) are welcome.
>
> The second question is: is it possible to store, databases made with
> microsofts access, on my PostgreSQL server running on Linux?
>
> Any help or suggestions welcome.

should have a look at :
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/index.html

--
Mathieu Arnold

RE: Connecting to PostgreSQL databases

From
"Robert D. Nelson"
Date:
>postgreSQL documatation but can not find anything about this. The only
>thing mentioned is that it is possible to run pgaccess on Win98 and
>Win2000,
>but it does not mention how this is done. Can somebody help me to find
>some docu about this or any suggestion(s) are welcome.

You need to copy over the pgaccess tree from unix to windows and make a
shortcut on your desktop to main.tcl. (for me c:\pgaccess\main.tcl) Then you
have to find and install the appropriate dll's for your version of postgres
(there are 6.4, 6.5, and 7.0 dll's, I think). Rename them by taking off the
version number (so you get libpgtcl.dll and libpq.dll) and stick them in
your c:\windows\system directory. Oh, and of course, install Tcl/Tk (I only
had success with v8.01, altho they have much newer versions, and you have to
dig to find the older versions. Again, it works now, so I'm not gonna bother
to see why the others didn't, if it was my fault or theirs). After that, you
should be ok. If you need more help (such as the appropriate files, if you
can't find them) email me off the list and we'll work through your setup.

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us

Date:
>postgreSQL documatation but can not find anything about this. The only
>thing mentioned is that it is possible to run pgaccess on Win98 and
>Win2000,
>but it does not mention how this is done. Can somebody help me to find
>some docu about this or any suggestion(s) are welcome.

Ooops, here's the URL for PGAccess: http://www.flex.ro/pgaccess/index.html

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us

Re: Connecting to PostgreSQL databases

From
"Andrea Aime"

> Hi all,
>
> I'am running a small home network with a Linux server running PostgreSQL
> and a few Win98 client machines.
>
> I can access databases from my Linux PC with psql and from Xwindows with
> pgaccess. But I'am still not able to access the database(s) from my
> Win98 machines. Is PostgreSQL only for UNIX operating systems or can it
> also be accessed from f.i. Win98 or Win2000? I have red all the
> postgreSQL documatation but can not find anything about this. The only
> thing mentioned is that it is possible to run pgaccess on Win98 and
> Win2000,
> but it does not mention how this is done. Can somebody help me to find
> some docu about this or any suggestion(s) are welcome.

If you are using Win98 as a client maybe you'd prefer to
use pgAdmin, a full featured management console for PostgreSQL
which runs only on windows machines. You'll find it at:
http://www.pgadmin.freeserve.co.uk/
(you will also need to install ODBC driver)

> The second question is: is it possible to store, databases made with
> microsofts access, on my PostgreSQL server running on Linux?

Yes, there are many ways, but pgAdmin has a specific exporter to
migrate data from Access to PostgreSQL. Anyway, I never tried it...
Regards
Andrea