disabling triggers?

From
Bob Parkinson
Date:
Hi,

I've noticed the recent query about dropping a function with a trigger.

I've got a trigger/function pair that I need to disable while I do a
manual update. Is it safe to drop the trigger, then re-create it on its
own, or should I do the trigger/function pair.

Is there a better method of temporarily disabling a trigger?

Cheers,

Bob

Bob Parkinson
rwp@biome.ac.uk
Technical Manager:         Biome             http://biome.ac.uk/

Greenfield Medical Library,
Queens Medical Centre,
Nottingham.                          0115 9249924 x 42059
                        We are stardust

Re: disabling triggers?

Date:
Bob Parkinson <rwp@biome.ac.uk> writes:
> I've got a trigger/function pair that I need to disable while I do a
> manual update. Is it safe to drop the trigger, then re-create it on its
> own, or should I do the trigger/function pair.

Dropping the trigger seems sufficient.  Dropping the function has at
least one big disadvantage: if the same function is supporting similar
triggers on other tables, dropping the function would break those
triggers.

> Is there a better method of temporarily disabling a trigger?

You could reach in and hack the reltriggers field in pg_class,
but dropping and recreating the trigger seems a lot cleaner and
safer.

            regards, tom lane