Re: disabling triggers? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: disabling triggers?
Date
List pgsql-general
Bob Parkinson <rwp@biome.ac.uk> writes:
> I've got a trigger/function pair that I need to disable while I do a
> manual update. Is it safe to drop the trigger, then re-create it on its
> own, or should I do the trigger/function pair.

Dropping the trigger seems sufficient.  Dropping the function has at
least one big disadvantage: if the same function is supporting similar
triggers on other tables, dropping the function would break those
triggers.

> Is there a better method of temporarily disabling a trigger?

You could reach in and hack the reltriggers field in pg_class,
but dropping and recreating the trigger seems a lot cleaner and
safer.

            regards, tom lane