Using the JDBC Driver in version 7.02

From
"Justin Jaynes"
Date:
Hello.  I am using Postgres 7.02 on my redhat linux box.  I have installed
the JDK and a JSP engine.

I have also copied the JDBC level 4 Drivers that came with postgresql 7.02
onto my hard drive.

When I try to interface with it in java, even after loading the driver with
the line:

Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");

I get an error that the DriverManager cannot find a suitable driver.

The code I use to connect goes as follows:

Connection chamber = DriverManager.getConnection("localhost:5432");

I also tried it as:

Connection chamber =
DriverManager.getConnection("localhost:5432","username","password");

and still no luck.

Can anyone help with this problem?

I have two suspicions:  First, that I am not pointing to the right class in
the jar file.  Driver.class might be the wrong file to start with.  Second,
maybe my server is not taking requests properly, so Java says "hey, this
driver is not working." when it's not the drivers fault, but the servers
fault.

Just so you know, I set up my server to trust all localhost connections.

Re: Using the JDBC Driver in version 7.02

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
You have to format your url properly so the java runtime can figure out
what driver to use for the connection.

Justin Jaynes wrote:

> Hello.  I am using Postgres 7.02 on my redhat linux box.  I have installed
> the JDK and a JSP engine.
>
> I have also copied the JDBC level 4 Drivers that came with postgresql 7.02
> onto my hard drive.
>
> When I try to interface with it in java, even after loading the driver with
> the line:
>
> Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
>
> I get an error that the DriverManager cannot find a suitable driver.
>
> The code I use to connect goes as follows:
>
> Connection chamber = DriverManager.getConnection("localhost:5432");
>
> I also tried it as:
>
> Connection chamber =
> DriverManager.getConnection("localhost:5432","username","password");
>
> and still no luck.
>
> Can anyone help with this problem?
>
> I have two suspicions:  First, that I am not pointing to the right class in
> the jar file.  Driver.class might be the wrong file to start with.  Second,
> maybe my server is not taking requests properly, so Java says "hey, this
> driver is not working." when it's not the drivers fault, but the servers
> fault.
>
> Just so you know, I set up my server to trust all localhost connections.

Re: Using the JDBC Driver in version 7.02

From
"Peter Mount"
> You have to format your url properly so the java runtime can figure out
> what driver to use for the connection.
>
> Justin Jaynes wrote:
> >
> > Hello.  I am using Postgres 7.02 on my redhat linux box.  I have
installed
> > the JDK and a JSP engine.
> >
> > I have also copied the JDBC level 4 Drivers that came with postgresql
7.02
> > onto my hard drive.
> >
> > When I try to interface with it in java, even after loading the driver
with
> > the line:
> >
> > Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
> >
> > I get an error that the DriverManager cannot find a suitable driver.
> >
> > The code I use to connect goes as follows:
> >
> > Connection chamber = DriverManager.getConnection("localhost:5432");

This isn't a valid JDBC URL. You'll need something like:

    jdbc:postgresql:database            <= Use when on local host
    jdbc:postgresql://server/database    <= Use when on remote host

> > I also tried it as:
> >
> > Connection chamber =
> > DriverManager.getConnection("localhost:5432","username","password");
> >
> > and still no luck.
> >
> > Can anyone help with this problem?
> >
> > I have two suspicions:  First, that I am not pointing to the right class
in
> > the jar file.  Driver.class might be the wrong file to start with.
Second,

That is the correct one (other than when using data sources)

> > maybe my server is not taking requests properly, so Java says "hey, this
> > driver is not working." when it's not the drivers fault, but the servers
> > fault.
> >
> > Just so you know, I set up my server to trust all localhost connections.

Re: Using the JDBC Driver in version 7.02

From
Marko Kreen
On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:05:29AM +0100, Peter Mount wrote:

> [...]

Try:

    Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");

Ofcource, check that postgresql.jar is in classpath.  If Java >= 1.2,
you can instead drop it in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext.

--
marko

Re: Using the JDBC Driver in version 7.02

From
"Peter Mount"
Date:
See below
--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk, peter@retepdigital.com, me@petermount.com
Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk Contact details @ http://petermount.com

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:05:29AM +0100, Peter Mount wrote:

No, this won't work. As of 7.0 it's org.postgresql.Driver

> Ofcource, check that postgresql.jar is in classpath.  If Java >= 1.2,
> you can instead drop it in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext.

This is the most likely reason it's not working.