Pg_Dump Strange Error

From
"Jorge E. Alvarez"
Date:
Hi,

I have a PostgreSQL 6.5.3 database server working flawlessly under
Linux-Mandrake 7.0

However, when I try to use the pg_dump utility, I get this error:

#pg_dump myDatabase > backup.db

NOTICE:  get_groname: group 87 not found
getTables(): SELECT failed.  Explanation from backend: 'pqReadData() --
backend
closed the channel unexpectedly.
        before or while processing the request.

Otherwise, this database has been working perfectly for many weeks (via
ODBC), but pg_dump still refuses to work. I installed from RPMs.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Jorge.

http://www.MyOwnEmail.com

Re: Pg_Dump Strange Error

Date:
"Jorge E. Alvarez" <demasiado@antisocial.com> writes:
> I have a PostgreSQL 6.5.3 database server working flawlessly under
> Linux-Mandrake 7.0
> However, when I try to use the pg_dump utility, I get this error:
> #pg_dump myDatabase > backup.db
> NOTICE:  get_groname: group 87 not found
> getTables(): SELECT failed.  Explanation from backend: 'pqReadData() --
> backend closed the channel unexpectedly.

This is a known bug in 6.5 --- it doesn't cope with deleted groups
very gracefully.  You have a table somewhere with GRANT permission
for a group number 87 that doesn't exist any longer, and the backend
crashes when pg_dump asks about the privileges on that table.

Easiest recovery method is probably to recreate a group with that
same number, eg
    insert into pg_group values ('bogus', 87, '{}');

I believe this bug is fixed in 7.0.

            regards, tom lane