Vacuum analyze vs just Vacuum

From
"Bryan White"
Date:
I would just like to check an assumption.  I "vacuum analyze" regularly.  I
have always assumed that this did a plain vacuum in addition to gathering
statistics.  Is this true?  The documentation never states explicitly one
way or the other but it almost suggests that they are independant
operations.

Re: Vacuum analyze vs just Vacuum

Date:
"Bryan White" <bryan@arcamax.com> writes:
> I would just like to check an assumption.  I "vacuum analyze" regularly.  I
> have always assumed that this did a plain vacuum in addition to gathering
> statistics.  Is this true?

Yes.  There are some poorly-worded places in the docs that make it sound
like they might be completely separate operations, but they're not.

I would like to split out ANALYZE as a separately-callable command at
some point, but we'll no doubt continue to offer the combined "vacuum
analyze" command, if only for backward-compatibility reasons...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Vacuum analyze vs just Vacuum

Date:
> I would just like to check an assumption.  I "vacuum analyze" regularly.  I
> have always assumed that this did a plain vacuum in addition to gathering
> statistics.  Is this true?  The documentation never states explicitly one
> way or the other but it almost suggests that they are independant
> operations.

Yes, it does a vacuum too.

Vacuum Complains

From
Fabrice Scemama
Date:
Hello;
when running a daily vacuum, my cron regularly reports this
message from Pg (7.0 RC1 / RH5.2 with glibc2.1 / compiled
with gcc 2.5.2):

NOTICE:  RegisterSharedInvalid: SI buffer overflow
NOTICE:  InvalidateSharedInvalid: cache state reset

Does anyone know what it means exactly ?
The message comes every day... no incident has been reported,
and the DB works just fine, whatever vacuum complains :)
But I would like to know if something should be done.

TIA
Fabrice

--
"Les forces de l'ordre sont celles qui sont aux ordres de ceux qui les
donnent." -- Pierre Dac

Re: Vacuum Complains

Date:
Fabrice Scemama <fabrice@scemama.org> writes:
> when running a daily vacuum, my cron regularly reports this
> message from Pg (7.0 RC1 / RH5.2 with glibc2.1 / compiled
> with gcc 2.5.2):

> NOTICE:  RegisterSharedInvalid: SI buffer overflow
> NOTICE:  InvalidateSharedInvalid: cache state reset

> Does anyone know what it means exactly ?

It's not anything to worry about --- those are just for debugging
purposes.  I'd expect those to show up if you have other backends
that are hung up in transactions waiting for the vacuum to finish.
Or maybe even without any other backends, if you have large system
catalogs...

            regards, tom lane