Performance on WindowsNT

From
"Erwin Selg"
Date:
Hello,

right now I'm evaluating the PostgreSQL and it seems to be the big bang for us.
But also it is quite important to have a good performance on several platforms
i.e. WindowsNT , Linux etc.

My question now is: Is there a difference in performance? I read on Windows it is running
using CygWin, are there any experiences of disadvantages because of that?

Also I read it was a Java database, so my question: Is it a Java database or is it done
in C++?

Thanks for your help
Erwin Selg

Re: [GENERAL] Performance on WindowsNT

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Erwin Selg wrote:

> Also I read it was a Java database, so my question: Is it a Java
> database or is it done in C++?

Where did you read this?  The server itself is written completely in C,
while there are JDBC, ODBC, C++, tcl, etc interfaces available ...

Re: [GENERAL] Performance on WindowsNT

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Erwin Selg wrote:

> But also it is quite important to have a good performance on several
> platforms i.e. WindowsNT , Linux etc.
>
> My question now is: Is there a difference in performance?

We often have on and off discussions about this, so a look in the
archives for specific tuning ideas, etc. is a good idea.

What it usually comes down to is
* fast disk
* good filesystem
* lots of memory
* fast CPU
* more than one CPU
* all the other usual stuff
all depending on your particular application.

There are some anecdotes about some operating systems being all in all
better suited than others but I won't join the speculation here. A faster
box will always do.