Re: [GENERAL] Performance on WindowsNT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Performance on WindowsNT
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Erwin Selg wrote:

> But also it is quite important to have a good performance on several
> platforms i.e. WindowsNT , Linux etc.
>
> My question now is: Is there a difference in performance?

We often have on and off discussions about this, so a look in the
archives for specific tuning ideas, etc. is a good idea.

What it usually comes down to is
* fast disk
* good filesystem
* lots of memory
* fast CPU
* more than one CPU
* all the other usual stuff
all depending on your particular application.

There are some anecdotes about some operating systems being all in all
better suited than others but I won't join the speculation here. A faster
box will always do.