How to handle non-postgres questions?

From
davidb@vectormath.com
Date:
Occasionally a question is posted to this list that is not a question about postgres, but to which I know the answer.  When this happens, I usually reply only to the person who posted the question, rather than to the whole list.  I do this to minimize non-postgres traffic on the list.  However, this has the disadvantage of making it seem that questions that are posted to the list are ignored.  Is responding only to the sender the correct thing to do, or should I include the whole list?

Just wondering...

David Boerwinkle

Re: [GENERAL] How to handle non-postgres questions?

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 01:41:52PM -0600, davidb@vectormath.com wrote:
> Occasionally a question is posted to this list that is not a question
> about postgres, but to which I know the answer.  When this happens, I
> usually reply only to the person who posted the question, rather than to
> the whole list.  I do this to minimize non-postgres traffic on the list.
> However, this has the disadvantage of making it seem that questions
> that are posted to the list are ignored.  Is responding only to the
> sender the correct thing to do, or should I include the whole list?

I'd say, if it's a sort answer (like this one ;-), post it as well. If it's
long  and detailed, go ahead and send email, but if you want, post a brief
reply to the list, usually just quoting the question, and saying "Answered
in private email"

Ross
P.S. Watch your line lengths!

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer