max(oid)

From
Marc Tardif
Date:
Is there a way to use the max aggregate on an oid field? When I try on
6.5.3, I get the following error message:

test=> select max(uid) from user_base;
ERROR: Unable to select an aggregate function max(oid)

If there's any work-around, please let me know.
Marc

Re: [GENERAL] max(oid)

Date:
> Is there a way to use the max aggregate on an oid field? When I try on
> 6.5.3, I get the following error message:
>
> test=> select max(uid) from user_base;
> ERROR: Unable to select an aggregate function max(oid)
>
> If there's any work-around, please let me know.
> Marc

Added to TODO:

    * allow aggregates on oid

Re: [GENERAL] max(oid)

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 2000-01-21, Bruce Momjian mentioned:

> > Is there a way to use the max aggregate on an oid field? When I try on
> > 6.5.3, I get the following error message:
> >
> > test=> select max(uid) from user_base;
> > ERROR: Unable to select an aggregate function max(oid)
> >
> > If there's any work-around, please let me know.
> > Marc
> >

> Added to TODO:
>
>     * allow aggregates on oid

We already had a TODO item for this and came to the conclusion that
* Make type equivalency apply to aggregates
will solve this.

For right now the user could do the following:

INSERT INTO pg_aggregate VALUES ('max', <your user id>, 'int4larger', '-',
'-', 26, 26, 0, 26, NULL, NULL);

Re: [GENERAL] max(oid)

Date:
Got it.  TODO updated.

> On 2000-01-21, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
>
> > > Is there a way to use the max aggregate on an oid field? When I try on
> > > 6.5.3, I get the following error message:
> > >
> > > test=> select max(uid) from user_base;
> > > ERROR: Unable to select an aggregate function max(oid)
> > >
> > > If there's any work-around, please let me know.
> > > Marc
> > >

> > Added to TODO:
> >
> >     * allow aggregates on oid
>
> We already had a TODO item for this and came to the conclusion that
> * Make type equivalency apply to aggregates
> will solve this.
>
> For right now the user could do the following:
>
> INSERT INTO pg_aggregate VALUES ('max', <your user id>, 'int4larger', '-',
> '-', 26, 26, 0, 26, NULL, NULL);
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut                  Sernanders v_g 10:115
> peter_e@gmx.net                   75262 Uppsala
> http://yi.org/peter-e/            Sweden

Re: [GENERAL] max(oid)

From
Jose Soares

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 2000-01-21, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
>
> > > Is there a way to use the max aggregate on an oid field? When I try on
> > > 6.5.3, I get the following error message:
> > >
> > > test=> select max(uid) from user_base;
> > > ERROR: Unable to select an aggregate function max(oid)
> > >
> > > If there's any work-around, please let me know.
> > > Marc
> > >

> > Added to TODO:
> >
> >       * allow aggregates on oid
>
> We already had a TODO item for this and came to the conclusion that
> * Make type equivalency apply to aggregates
> will solve this.
>
> For right now the user could do the following:
>
> INSERT INTO pg_aggregate VALUES ('max', <your user id>, 'int4larger', '-',
> '-', 26, 26, 0, 26, NULL, NULL);

We need also aggregates for data type TIME
    MAX(time)
    MIN(time)

José

Re: [GENERAL] max(oid)

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 2000-01-24, Jose Soares mentioned:

> We need also aggregates for data type TIME
>     MAX(time)
>     MIN(time)

Thomas, do you think this could be done?

Re: [GENERAL] max(oid)

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > We need also aggregates for data type TIME
> >     MAX(time)
> >     MIN(time)
> Thomas, do you think this could be done?

Sure. I'm really stacked up on the ToDo list for 7.0, but it would
only take a couple of hours end to end to get this done (probably less
actually).

A related topic: we should discuss having a real "time with timezone"
type for SQL92 compatibility. It is completely useless imho, since the
SQL92 definition of time zone is so brain damaged (only a constant
hour offset, no concept of daylight savings time, no date context
associated with a time field, etc etc etc). Currently, we swallow the
"with time zone" without comment...

                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California