Where is the Database log file ?

From
"Ed Bras"
Date:
In th documentation thay talk about a database log file which is used in for example RAISE NOTICE.
Where can I find this (the log file) ? and how can I see this kind of information in the system tables ?

Regards,
Ed Bras

RE: Where is the Database log file ?

From
"Ed Bras"
Date:
> In th documentation thay talk about a database log file which is used in
for example RAISE NOTICE.
> Where can I find this (the log file) ? and how can I see this kind of
information in the system tables ?

> Postmaster writes its messages to stdout (stderr?).

> So we start it in /etc/init.d/postgres with:

> su - postgres -c "source /usr/dblocal/pgsql/.login;
/usr/dblocal/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -o -e >>&
/usr/dblocal/pgsql/server.log&"

> and the output will be in /usr/dblocal/pgsql/server.log.

Howwww, I am sorry but you are going a bit too fast I think.
I don't really understand which part is responsible for the logging ? Please
give a bit more info ?
The only thing I have in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres is (the starting of the
postmaster:

  su -l postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql'

and nothing about some logging commands (neither does server.log excits) !!

Regards,
Ed Bras

Re: [GENERAL] RE: Where is the Database log file ?

From
Lamar Owen
Ed Bras wrote:
> The only thing I have in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres is (the starting of the
> postmaster:
>
>   su -l postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql'
>
> and nothing about some logging commands (neither does server.log excits) !!

RedHat RPM, by chance?

Drop the '-S' and redirect appropriately.  This will be fixed in a
future RPM release, with log rotating etc.

And a note to anyone posting about problems with PostgreSQL -- if it is
an RPM issue, cc: me on it and specify that the RPM distribution is at
fault. I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio