Admin / client tools for Win32?

From
"Matthew Brown"
Date:
I have a web hosting client who wants SQL support, and is very used to using MSAccess with MS SQL Server with all the integration they have.

Can anyone point me to good GUI Win32 tools for manipulating Postgres?  Mostly what would be needed are database diagramming tools, etc., but admin tools would be great, too.

Did I hear a sideways recommendation of dbKit?

Best regards,

Matthew Brown

Re: [GENERAL] Admin / client tools for Win32?

From
Howie
Date:
On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Matthew Brown wrote:

> I have a web hosting client who wants SQL support, and is very used to
> using MSAccess with MS SQL Server with all the integration they have.
>
> Can anyone point me to good GUI Win32 tools for manipulating Postgres?
> Mostly what would be needed are database diagramming tools, etc., but
> admin tools would be great, too.

cant you use MS-Access with the pgsql odbc driver?  i could've sworn a
coworker was doing something similar, but i dont run MS products or
operating system(s).

> [SNIP]

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"I've learned that you cannot make someone love you.
 All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in."

Re: [GENERAL] Admin / client tools for Win32?

From
Thomas Antepoth
Date:
Hi Mat,

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Matthew Brown wrote:

> I have a web hosting client who wants SQL support, and is very used
> to using MSAccess with MS SQL Server with all the integration they have.

read: incompatibility in means of cross platform environments.

> Can anyone point me to good GUI Win32 tools for manipulating Postgres?
> Mostly what would be needed are database diagramming tools, etc.,
> but admin tools would be great, too.

You might try using the ODBC Driver kit for Postgres.
It performs well and it does the trick connecting a WIN32
Application to a Postgres Server.

One pitfall still exists: If you don´t define your
Primary keys well, MS-Access97 will cast out queries
like:
select blah from blub where
field1=... and field2=... and field3=... and fieldn or
field1=... and ... or
field1=...

Imagine what this does to your Postgres Server.
Here in our environment the postmaster inflates up to
40 Megs of Mem-Usage and drains all CPU even if
opening a table just for viewing.

SQL7.0 instead seems to optimize these
ridiculous queries quite well.

If you want the best cross platform utility you
might try pgaccess (it runs under TCL/TK) and
should run on WIN32 Clients as well.

> Did I hear a sideways recommendation of dbKit?

Never heard of it. What is it?

t++

--
This mail had been created using Linux. It is therefore free of all
Microsoft(tm) OS based virii, conforms with almost any widely recognized

Re: [GENERAL] Admin / client tools for Win32?

From
Courtney Thomas
Date:
Greetings !

Where can I get info on "pgaccess" ?

Thanks,

Courtney

Thomas Antepoth wrote:

> Hi Mat,
>
> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Matthew Brown wrote:
>
> > I have a web hosting client who wants SQL support, and is very used
> > to using MSAccess with MS SQL Server with all the integration they have.
>
> read: incompatibility in means of cross platform environments.
>
> > Can anyone point me to good GUI Win32 tools for manipulating Postgres?
> > Mostly what would be needed are database diagramming tools, etc.,
> > but admin tools would be great, too.
>
> You might try using the ODBC Driver kit for Postgres.
> It performs well and it does the trick connecting a WIN32
> Application to a Postgres Server.
>
> One pitfall still exists: If you don´t define your
> Primary keys well, MS-Access97 will cast out queries
> like:
> select blah from blub where
> field1=... and field2=... and field3=... and fieldn or
> field1=... and ... or
> field1=...
>
> Imagine what this does to your Postgres Server.
> Here in our environment the postmaster inflates up to
> 40 Megs of Mem-Usage and drains all CPU even if
> opening a table just for viewing.
>
> SQL7.0 instead seems to optimize these
> ridiculous queries quite well.
>
> If you want the best cross platform utility you
> might try pgaccess (it runs under TCL/TK) and
> should run on WIN32 Clients as well.
>
> > Did I hear a sideways recommendation of dbKit?
>
> Never heard of it. What is it?
>
> t++
>
> --
> This mail had been created using Linux. It is therefore free of all
> Microsoft(tm) OS based virii, conforms with almost any widely recognized
> open standards and is best read with *any* mailclient using fixed fonts.
> Spam is processed at the modest price of $500 only at this site.

Re: [GENERAL] Admin / client tools for Win32?

From
武龍
Date:
In my RedHat 6.0 , it already have pgaccess.
I think when you install postgres 6.4 ( or later ) , you may already have it.

--
wuulong Sheu ( 許武龍 )  - PGP , HTML mail is welcome
蒙恬科技 - PEN POWER TECHNOLOGY LTD.(www.penpower.com.tw)