Re: [GENERAL] Admin / client tools for Win32? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Antepoth
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Admin / client tools for Win32?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Mat,

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Matthew Brown wrote:

> I have a web hosting client who wants SQL support, and is very used
> to using MSAccess with MS SQL Server with all the integration they have.

read: incompatibility in means of cross platform environments.

> Can anyone point me to good GUI Win32 tools for manipulating Postgres?
> Mostly what would be needed are database diagramming tools, etc.,
> but admin tools would be great, too.

You might try using the ODBC Driver kit for Postgres.
It performs well and it does the trick connecting a WIN32
Application to a Postgres Server.

One pitfall still exists: If you don´t define your
Primary keys well, MS-Access97 will cast out queries
like:
select blah from blub where
field1=... and field2=... and field3=... and fieldn or
field1=... and ... or
field1=...

Imagine what this does to your Postgres Server.
Here in our environment the postmaster inflates up to
40 Megs of Mem-Usage and drains all CPU even if
opening a table just for viewing.

SQL7.0 instead seems to optimize these
ridiculous queries quite well.

If you want the best cross platform utility you
might try pgaccess (it runs under TCL/TK) and
should run on WIN32 Clients as well.

> Did I hear a sideways recommendation of dbKit?

Never heard of it. What is it?

t++

--
This mail had been created using Linux. It is therefore free of all
Microsoft(tm) OS based virii, conforms with almost any widely recognized