pg-dump -- primary Key

From
"Dan Wilson"
Date:
I was looking at the pg_dump and realized that it does not indicate the
primary keys.

Why is this?  It does dump the primary keys with the indexed, however as far
as I could tell, it did not indicate anything as the primary key.

Yes, I am aware that the primary key does not really mean anything except
implicitly making it a unique key, but it's supposed to be there for
compatibility and it's not even in the dump.

It's not a huge deal, but I was wondering if there was reasoning behind it
of which I am unaware.

-Dan

Re: [GENERAL] pg-dump -- primary Key

From
Chris Bitmead
Date:
Dan Wilson wrote:

> Yes, I am aware that the primary key does not really mean anything except
> implicitly making it a unique key, but it's supposed to be there for
> compatibility and it's not even in the dump.

Someone mentioned recently that primary key enforces nulls as unique
whereas unique index doesn't.

--
Chris Bitmead
mailto:chris@tech.com.au

Re: [GENERAL] pg-dump -- primary Key

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 03:13:39PM +1000, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> Dan Wilson wrote:
>
> > Yes, I am aware that the primary key does not really mean anything except
> > implicitly making it a unique key, but it's supposed to be there for
> > compatibility and it's not even in the dump.
>
> Someone mentioned recently that primary key enforces nulls as unique
> whereas unique index doesn't.

Actually, I belive it enforces NOT NULL on primary keys, which it also
dumps in the pg_dump output.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Re: [GENERAL] pg-dump -- primary Key

From
"Dan Wilson"
Date:
I understand this, but does it set the indisprimary flag in the pg_index
table?  The reason I ask is because I am writing a web based app to
administer a pgsql database and am attempting to keep track of the
indices/keys.

This is the property I am looking at determine whether the index is a
primary key.  Is there a better property or flag to examine for this
purpose?

-Dan