initdb in 6.5 not creating 'postgres' db

From
"Robert Chalmers"
Date:
Just installed 6.5, all seems well, but it wont start - claims initdb didn't
creat the database 'postgres' ...

whats happening here ?

thanks
Bob

---  http://4qir.quantum-radio.net.au - Where Only The Dedicated Survive!
4QIR Quantum Radio. Bringing you the original sounds of AFVN, with some of
the
original DJ's - back on air - and supporting not only the original Vets, in
comprehensive AFVN Archives, but putting together segments for the fighting
men and
women of todays services all around the world. World Music, for people of
the world.

Re: [GENERAL] initdb in 6.5 not creating 'postgres' db

From
"John M. Flinchbaugh"
Date:
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Robert Chalmers wrote:
> Just installed 6.5, all seems well, but it wont start - claims initdb didn't
> creat the database 'postgres' ...
> whats happening here ?

initdb only creates `template1'.  you have to `createdb postgres' for
yourself if you even want the postgres user to have it's own personal
database.

____________________}John Flinchbaugh{______________________
| -> glynis@hjsoft.com <-             john@cs.millersv.edu |
|    glynis@netrax.net      http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |
~~Powered by Linux: Reboots are for hardware upgrades only~~

Re: [GENERAL] initdb in 6.5 not creating 'postgres' db

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, John M. Flinchbaugh wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Robert Chalmers wrote:
> > Just installed 6.5, all seems well, but it wont start - claims initdb didn't
> > creat the database 'postgres' ...
> > whats happening here ?
>
> initdb only creates `template1'.  you have to `createdb postgres' for
> yourself if you even want the postgres user to have it's own personal
> database.

So, just to elaborate on the problem report to start with, the problem is
starting up the back and just typing 'psql', vs 'psql template1'?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] initdb in 6.5 not creating 'postgres' db

From
"Robert Chalmers"
Date:
Thats what I thought but when I tried to run the backend to test it with
postmaster -i
It complained that the database 'postgres' didnt exist...  I know., use
postmaster -i template1 I suppose?

thanks
Bob

Date:
On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Robert Chalmers wrote:
> Thats what I thought but when I tried to run the backend to test it with
> postmaster -i
> It complained that the database 'postgres' didnt exist...  I know., use
> postmaster -i template1 I suppose?

actually, start postmaster as usual.

by default, initdb only creates template1, and psql defaults to trying to
open a database with the user's name, so user john's default database name
is `john'.  psql run as user postgres tries to open the `postgres'
database.

`psql template1' to open a database other than the default.  the
postmaster still manages all the different databases, so you don't need to
tell it on the commandline.

if you want to create new databases, then just run `createdb <name>', so
if you wanted postgres to have it's `postgres' database you must run
`createdb postgres'.