Re: [GENERAL] initdb in 6.5 not creating 'postgres' db - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John M. Flinchbaugh
Subject Re: [GENERAL] initdb in 6.5 not creating 'postgres' db
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Robert Chalmers wrote:
> Thats what I thought but when I tried to run the backend to test it with
> postmaster -i
> It complained that the database 'postgres' didnt exist...  I know., use
> postmaster -i template1 I suppose?

actually, start postmaster as usual.

by default, initdb only creates template1, and psql defaults to trying to
open a database with the user's name, so user john's default database name
is `john'.  psql run as user postgres tries to open the `postgres'
database.

`psql template1' to open a database other than the default.  the
postmaster still manages all the different databases, so you don't need to
tell it on the commandline.

if you want to create new databases, then just run `createdb <name>', so
if you wanted postgres to have it's `postgres' database you must run
`createdb postgres'.

| -> glynis@hjsoft.com <-             john@cs.millersv.edu |
|    glynis@netrax.net      http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |