Newbie questions

From
Scott Alexander
Date:
Hello everyone -

I'm new to PostgreSQL so bear with me if this seems like obvious
questions. (By the way, I did read the FAQ at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/PostgreSQL-HOWTO.html#toc26 but these
questions weren't addressed there...)

Database design - CASE tools
============================
Most database developers use some kind of computer-assisted
software-engineering (CASE) tool during the database design phase. CASE
tools usually provide a visual way of defining tables, columns, primary
keys, foreign keys, indexes, etc. Some example of popular CASE tools are
ER/Studio, ERwin, InfoModeler, Oracle Designer/2000, PowerDesigner,
Silverrun, xCase, Embarcadero and System Architect. (For more info on
CASE tools, visit www.aisintl.com.)

Once the developer has created a data model in the CASE tool (usually an
entity-relationship diagram), the tool outputs an SQL DDL
(data-definition language) script in the chosen "dialect" of SQL
(PostgreSQL, Oracle, DB2, Sybase, MS-SQL, etc) and then  the developer
executes this script to create the database. Many CASE tools provide
"two-way trips" meaning that the you can *input* an existing SQL
database schema (either in the form of the DDL script which defines it
or by connecting to the actual database, usually via ODBC, and
inspecting the "meta-data" or schema information) and then *output* a
data-model in the CASE tool format, suitable for further manipulation in
the CASE tool.

What CASE tools are available which output the PostgreSQL "dialect" of
SQL? What has people's experience been with CASE tools and PostgreSQL?
For people who *don't* use a CASE tool: what do you find to be the most
efficient method of defining your database schema?

Additional SQL features
=======================
Several DBMS vendors have included additional features in their
"dialect" of SQL which may or may not be specified by any of the ANSI
standards. Examples include triggers, stored procedures, and declarative
referential integrity, and automatic two-phase commit. (Borland's
Interbase 5.5 is a good example which incorporates all these features.)

Does PostgreSQL provide any of these additional features?

Thanks for the help!

- Scott Alexander
scott.alexander@mindspring.com

Re: Newbie questions

From
Marcel Gsteiger
Date:
Hi Rich,

I'm a CNE-5 and now work with *nix systems for about a year. Here are some tips:

I use PostgreSQL 7.1.2 now on two systems:
- a compaq proliant 330 (pentium III/733) with plenty of RAM and a disk array,
running RH linux 6.2
- a hp netserver E30 (pentium I/166) with 80 MB of RAM and a 9gig SCSI disk,
running FreeBSD 4.3
both work very well (even the small one, I installed this just to see if it
works).
For both platforms, I downloaded the tarballs and built everything on that
machine. This worked without any problems. However, be prepared to spend some
time getting acquainted with installations. Usually you will need to
download/make/make install several packages to get a system that meets your
needs without containing unnecessary components. First of all, leave out X
windows and all GUIs.

For my personal experience, I installed webmin (www.webmin.com) just after the
base install of the OS. This way, I could browse the file system and administer
everything without having to learn all the *nix commands in the first place.

Also, the site www.greatbridge.org was very helpful for my productivity.
Especially phppgadmin and pgadmin are really nice products. For the ODBC
drivers, try to find the .msi versions (these are particularly easy to install).

HTH
--Marcel

Rich Bowman schrieb:

> I'm considering replacing my NetWare server running Pervasive SQL with a
> server running PostgreSQL.
>
> 1. Most people seem to run on some flavor of Unix / Linux. Is one flavor of
> Unix / Linux more PostgreSQL "friendly" than another?
>
> 2. My user apps run on NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition with Citrix MetaFrame
> 1.8. Anybody had any experience using the PostgreSQL ODBC driver in this
> environment?
>
> 3. If I download PostgreSQL and the ODBC driver must I compile it for the
> flavor of Unix / Linux I choose or are there pre-compiled versions?
>
> If I've posted this to the wrong place, please forgive me and set me
> straight. I've read some about PostgreSQL and I'm impressed with what I see.
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Rich Bowman
> Bennett Supply Company
> richb@bennettsupply.com

Re: Newbie questions

From
Nils Zonneveld

Rich Bowman wrote:

> I'm considering replacing my NetWare server running Pervasive SQL with a
> server running PostgreSQL.
>
> 1. Most people seem to run on some flavor of Unix / Linux. Is one flavor of
> Unix / Linux more PostgreSQL "friendly" than another?

I run PostgreSQL on a SuSe Linux 6.4 system without any problems. But I
suspect that it will run excelent on all other UNIX'es. Especially the
*BSD family (PostgreSQL has a BSD style license).

> 2. My user apps run on NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition with Citrix MetaFrame
> 1.8. Anybody had any experience using the PostgreSQL ODBC driver in this
> environment?

I use the Win32 ODBC driver, again without problems on a Win95 system.

> 3. If I download PostgreSQL and the ODBC driver must I compile it for the
> flavor of Unix / Linux I choose or are there pre-compiled versions?

If you want to make use of the RPM's, you must use Linux Red Hat or
SuSe. Personally I prefer compiling from source though.

HTH,

Nils

--
Alles van waarde is weerloos
Lucebert

Re: Newbie questions

From
"Rich Bowman"
Date:
I have 2 or 3 years of Xenix experience, but that was 12 years ago, so, I'm
aaproaching this with a considerable amount of caution.

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.  Your input is most helpful.

Rich Bowman