Re: Newbie questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marcel Gsteiger
Subject Re: Newbie questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Rich,

I'm a CNE-5 and now work with *nix systems for about a year. Here are some tips:

I use PostgreSQL 7.1.2 now on two systems:
- a compaq proliant 330 (pentium III/733) with plenty of RAM and a disk array,
running RH linux 6.2
- a hp netserver E30 (pentium I/166) with 80 MB of RAM and a 9gig SCSI disk,
running FreeBSD 4.3
both work very well (even the small one, I installed this just to see if it
works).
For both platforms, I downloaded the tarballs and built everything on that
machine. This worked without any problems. However, be prepared to spend some
time getting acquainted with installations. Usually you will need to
download/make/make install several packages to get a system that meets your
needs without containing unnecessary components. First of all, leave out X
windows and all GUIs.

For my personal experience, I installed webmin (www.webmin.com) just after the
base install of the OS. This way, I could browse the file system and administer
everything without having to learn all the *nix commands in the first place.

Also, the site www.greatbridge.org was very helpful for my productivity.
Especially phppgadmin and pgadmin are really nice products. For the ODBC
drivers, try to find the .msi versions (these are particularly easy to install).

HTH
--Marcel