postmaster(server) and psql(client) question.

From
"Albert Chen"
Date:
Hi,

I have two machines; one is server, another is client.
I run postmaster on server, could I run psql on client?
If I can, would anyone tell me how to do, thanks.

-Albert

Re: [GENERAL] postmaster(server) and psql(client) question.

From
"Sergei Chernev"
Date:
Hi,
> I have two machines; one is server, another is client.
> I run postmaster on server, could I run psql on client?
> If I can, would anyone tell me how to do, thanks.

You have to run postmaster with -i key, to allow tcp connections and
edit pg_hba.conf file to allow your client machine to connect (this file is
well commented).
On client machine, start psql -h server.name -u database
-----------------
Sergei Chernev
Internet: ser@nsu.ru
Phone: +7-3832-397354

Re: [GENERAL] postmaster(server) and psql(client) question.

From
Simon Drabble
Date:
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Albert Chen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two machines; one is server, another is client.
> I run postmaster on server, could I run psql on client?
> If I can, would anyone tell me how to do, thanks.
>
> -Albert

Simon.

--
  "When a German dwarf dances with the butcher's son.." -- Tom Waits

   Simon Drabble                      Somewhere in cyberspace
   simond@foxlink.net

Re: [GENERAL] postmaster(server) and psql(client) question.

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Albert Chen wrote:

> I have two machines; one is server, another is client.
> I run postmaster on server, could I run psql on client?
> If I can, would anyone tell me how to do, thanks.

If you are running the postmaster on the server this way:

postmaster -i

You can start up psql on a client machine like this:

psql -h <server hostname> <dbname>

However, you will need to edit your pg_hba.conf file under pgsql/data to
allow connections to your data from remote connections.  There are
detailed instructions in the samples provided in the PostgreSQL
installation.  You'll probably want to only allow certain clients to
connect, rather than just leaving it wide open to the world.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them.
        -- Publilius Syrus