Newbie Questions, PostgreSQL

From
Sze Yuen Wong
Date:
Hi,

 I'm new to PostgreSQL and I've got the following questions:

 1.What is wrong with the following PostgreSQL statement?

 CREATE RULE r1 AS ON INSERT TO TBL1 DO [INSERT INTO TBL2 values
(new.i);
NOTIFY TBL2];

        I got the following error messages following its execution:

        ERROR: parser: parse error at pr near ""
        ERROR: parser: parse error at pr near "]"

        2.  When I type \E and \e to the psql prompt, there does not
seem to be any difference:  both invoke vi and execute my SQL
statement upon exit from vi.  My understanding is that \E should do
execution following editing whereas \e does do editing.  Am I right?

Thank you very much.

Sze Wong

RE: [GENERAL] Newbie Questions, PostgreSQL

From
"Taral"
Date:
>  1.What is wrong with the following PostgreSQL statement?
>
>  CREATE RULE r1 AS ON INSERT TO TBL1 DO [INSERT INTO TBL2 values
> (new.i);
> NOTIFY TBL2];
>
>         I got the following error messages following its execution:
>
>         ERROR: parser: parse error at pr near ""
>         ERROR: parser: parse error at pr near "]"

You want " and ", not [ and ]. And you will need to specify LANGUAGE "SQL"
as well, I think.

Taral

RE: [GENERAL] Newbie Questions, PostgreSQL

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Taral wrote:

> >  1.What is wrong with the following PostgreSQL statement?
> >
> >  CREATE RULE r1 AS ON INSERT TO TBL1 DO [INSERT INTO TBL2 values
> > (new.i);
> > NOTIFY TBL2];
> >
> >         I got the following error messages following its execution:
> >
> >         ERROR: parser: parse error at pr near ""
> >         ERROR: parser: parse error at pr near "]"
>
> You want " and ", not [ and ]. And you will need to specify LANGUAGE "SQL"
> as well, I think.

And, up until v6.4 (to be released), I *thought* that rules were actually
broken...

Marc G. Fournier                               scrappy@hub.org
Systems Administrator @ hub.org
scrappy@{postgresql|isc}.org                       ICQ#7615664