Newbie Questions, PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sze Yuen Wong
Subject Newbie Questions, PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

 I'm new to PostgreSQL and I've got the following questions:

 1.What is wrong with the following PostgreSQL statement?

 CREATE RULE r1 AS ON INSERT TO TBL1 DO [INSERT INTO TBL2 values
(new.i);
NOTIFY TBL2];

        I got the following error messages following its execution:

        ERROR: parser: parse error at pr near ""
        ERROR: parser: parse error at pr near "]"

        2.  When I type \E and \e to the psql prompt, there does not
seem to be any difference:  both invoke vi and execute my SQL
statement upon exit from vi.  My understanding is that \E should do
execution following editing whereas \e does do editing.  Am I right?

Thank you very much.

Sze Wong