RE: [GENERAL] Triggers: options besides compiled code?

From
"Jackson, DeJuan"
Date:
> > I started to look at the triggers documentation and was immediately
> > dismayed to discover that I would have compile code to create a
> > trigger.  I have been using the old "rules" mechanism to
> automatically
> > put a sequence number into a tuple when inserting new rows.  Are my
> > choices limited to just (1) compiled code, and (2) the old rules
> > mechanism?
>
> if you insert a new row, isn't the sequence automatically inserted?

It is if you use table defaults.  (see 'create table', and 'netval()')
        -DEJ

Re: [GENERAL] Triggers: options besides compiled code?

From
Roland Roberts
Date:

    >> if you insert a new row, isn't the sequence automatically
    >> inserted?

    dej> It is if you use table defaults.  (see 'create table', and
    dej> 'netval()')

Thanks for the tip; Richard Lynch <lynch@lscorp.com> had sent me the
same information via email.  I was unaware of the "default" clause
which certainly makes this piece easier.

I guess I'm still stuck with writing C-code to get cascading deletes,
but I can probably postpone that requirement for a while....

Thanks,

roland
--
Roland B. Roberts
roberts@panix.com

howto insert german umlaute into DB

From
"Anton Stöckl"
Date:
Hi there,

Please see subject.
I guess the problem is, that my unix shell doesn't accept them.
Are there any escape sequences I could use?

regards, Tony
--
Anton Stöckl                    mailto:tony@cys.de