Problems with \dt

From
wojtek
Date:
Hello,
I use postgreSQL 6.3. Have a look at this (after running psql):

=====================================
mydb=> vacuum;
VACUUM
mydb=> create table mytable (number int);
CREATE
mydb=> insert into mytable values(12);
INSERT 18711 1
mydb=> insert into mytable values(13);
INSERT 18712 1
mydb=> select * from mytable;
number
------
    12
    13
(2 rows)

mydb=> \d mytable;

Table    = mytable
+--------------+----------+-------+
| Field        | Type     | Length|
+--------------+----------+-------+
| number       | int4     | 4     |
+--------------+----------+-------+
mydb=> \dt
Couldn't find any tables!
mydb=>
(I made the above drawn table a little thiner to
 make it easier to view)

My answers are:
1.Why can't \dt see any tables?
2.I also can't see the tables using ODBC in Access97 (in Win95OSR).
  My driver is psqlODBC 6.30. There is no problem with
  authorisation and queries like select or insert.

Can anyone tell me where the point is or where I can find the answer?

I went through all available documentation and was not able to solve it.

I work on SunOS 5.5.1.
I have never used name 'mytable' before. The binaries were got from
ftp://xenium.pdi.net/pub/PostgreSQL/bindist/PostgreSQL-v6_3-Solaris_v2_6.gz

Thanks in advance
Wojtek Pietron

Re: [GENERAL] Problems with \dt

Date:
> Hello,
> I use postgreSQL 6.3. Have a look at this (after running psql):
>
> =====================================
> mydb=> vacuum;
> VACUUM
> mydb=> create table mytable (number int);
> CREATE
> mydb=> insert into mytable values(12);
> INSERT 18711 1
> mydb=> insert into mytable values(13);
> INSERT 18712 1
> mydb=> select * from mytable;
> number
> ------
>     12
>     13
> (2 rows)
>
> mydb=> \d mytable;
>
> Table    = mytable
> +--------------+----------+-------+
> | Field        | Type     | Length|
> +--------------+----------+-------+
> | number       | int4     | 4     |
> mydb=> \dt
> Couldn't find any tables!
> mydb=>
> (I made the above drawn table a little thiner to
>  make it easier to view)

Strange.  I recommend you pull the \dt query out of the psql.c source
file, and try it in psql to see what is failing.  Could be a problem
that you can't read pg_passwd, which you should be able to do.  \dt
needs to find the owner of the table to succeed.