About Deleting Large Objects

From
Philip Bierhoff
Date:
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the list, but couldn't find any information on the following
question, neither in the manuals nor in the FAQ. Could someone help me out
here?

How do I effectively delete Large Objects from the database? DELETE just
removes the oid from the table. I want the object itself to be deleted as
well. Even a call to vacuum did not help. I'm using Postgres 6.3 on
Linux 2.0.18.

Philip

Re: [GENERAL] About Deleting Large Objects

From
Peter Mount
Date:
On Tue, 19 May 1998, Philip Bierhoff wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to the list, but couldn't find any information on the following
> question, neither in the manuals nor in the FAQ. Could someone help me out
> here?
>
> How do I effectively delete Large Objects from the database? DELETE just
> removes the oid from the table. I want the object itself to be deleted as
> well. Even a call to vacuum did not help. I'm using Postgres 6.3 on
> Linux 2.0.18.

This was discussed a little while ago (actually about 3 months ago), and I
did start to look into it, as JDBC, & probably ODBC are affected by this
more than libpq based apps, first using triggers, then using a custom
storage type.

I am looking into this (and hopefully I'll have more time to do so soon),
so it may be there for 6.4

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk