Re: Doc fixes and improvements

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 28 August 2010 15:29, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> I attach a patch which fixes a few layout and markup issues, and also
> a bit of tidying up.  These include
> - removing excessive table cells
> - moving function parameters into function tags rather than having
> them being considered separate
> - adding return type column on XML2 contrib module functions list and
> removing return types from function
> - adding table header to XML2 contrib parameter table

Another minor fix attached to put text into a containing paragraph.
--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Attachment

Date:
On 28 August 2010 19:47, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 28 August 2010 15:29, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> I attach a patch which fixes a few layout and markup issues, and also
>> a bit of tidying up.  These include
>> - removing excessive table cells
>> - moving function parameters into function tags rather than having
>> them being considered separate
>> - adding return type column on XML2 contrib module functions list and
>> removing return types from function
>> - adding table header to XML2 contrib parameter table
>>

> Another minor fix attached to put text into a containing paragraph.
> --

Apologies, ignore that last one.

Date:
On 28 August 2010 19:50, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 28 August 2010 19:47, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> On 28 August 2010 15:29, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>> I attach a patch which fixes a few layout and markup issues, and also
>>> a bit of tidying up.  These include
>>> - removing excessive table cells
>>> - moving function parameters into function tags rather than having
>>> them being considered separate
>>> - adding return type column on XML2 contrib module functions list and
>>> removing return types from function
>>> - adding table header to XML2 contrib parameter table
>>>

>> Another minor fix attached to put text into a containing paragraph.
>> --
>
> Apologies, ignore that last one.

Okay, reattached and tested this time.

Attachment

Re: Doc fixes and improvements

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> On 28 August 2010 19:50, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> On 28 August 2010 19:47, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 28 August 2010 15:29, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>> I attach a patch which fixes a few layout and markup issues, and also
>>> a bit of tidying up.

> Okay, reattached and tested this time.

Ummm ... this seems to be almost entirely pointless whitespace changes.
Sure you attached the right diff?

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 29 August 2010 21:31, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> On 28 August 2010 19:50, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, reattached and tested this time.
>
> Ummm ... this seems to be almost entirely pointless whitespace changes.
> Sure you attached the right diff?

Yes, the whitespace changes you're seeing are because I closed the
<para> tag early, then re-opened it again for the next paragraph,
which meant I reduced the indent for the content between them.  The
paragraph is also closed again after, rather than containing
everything after it, so I removed the excess closing paragraph tag and
reduce the indentation of the affected sections.

This is because of what is rendered on:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/functions-logical.html

The sentence "SQL uses a three-valued boolean..." isn't contained in a
paragraph at all and should be.  Otherwise it's free text in a div.

--

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> On 29 August 2010 21:31, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Ummm ... this seems to be almost entirely pointless whitespace changes.
>> Sure you attached the right diff?

> Yes, the whitespace changes you're seeing are because I closed the
> <para> tag early, then re-opened it again for the next paragraph,
> which meant I reduced the indent for the content between them.  The
> paragraph is also closed again after, rather than containing
> everything after it, so I removed the excess closing paragraph tag and
> reduce the indentation of the affected sections.

> This is because of what is rendered on:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/functions-logical.html

> The sentence "SQL uses a three-valued boolean..." isn't contained in a
> paragraph at all and should be.  Otherwise it's free text in a div.

Uh ... it is too enclosed in a <para>.  What your changes seem to
accomplish is to take the <simplelist> and <informaltable> constructs
outside any <para>, but what is the point of that?  I don't see anything
obviously wrong with the rendering on the page you cite.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 29 August 2010 22:21, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> On 29 August 2010 21:31, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Ummm ... this seems to be almost entirely pointless whitespace changes.
>>> Sure you attached the right diff?
>
>> Yes, the whitespace changes you're seeing are because I closed the
>> <para> tag early, then re-opened it again for the next paragraph,
>> which meant I reduced the indent for the content between them.  The
>> paragraph is also closed again after, rather than containing
>> everything after it, so I removed the excess closing paragraph tag and
>> reduce the indentation of the affected sections.
>
>> This is because of what is rendered on:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/functions-logical.html
>
>> The sentence "SQL uses a three-valued boolean..." isn't contained in a
>> paragraph at all and should be.  Otherwise it's free text in a div.
>
> Uh ... it is too enclosed in a <para>.

I'm referring to the rendered output.  It isn't contained in <p> tags.

> What your changes seem to
> accomplish is to take the <simplelist> and <informaltable> constructs
> outside any <para>, but what is the point of that?

Well, those can be in their own <para> container too, although I don't
think that's an issue.

But I shalln't pursue it further if you think there's really no issue.

--

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> On 29 August 2010 22:21, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> What your changes seem to
>> accomplish is to take the <simplelist> and <informaltable> constructs
>> outside any <para>, but what is the point of that?

> Well, those can be in their own <para> container too, although I don't
> think that's an issue.

> But I shalln't pursue it further if you think there's really no issue.

Well, I don't know --- I'm no SGML expert, and I'm not sure whether
there's a preferred style for that.  But I see in a quick grep that
every occurrence of <simplelist> in our docs, and all but a few
occurrences of <informaltable>, are within paras with some surrounding
text, in precisely the same style as here.  So if this needs to be
changed then it needs to be changed in a lot of places.  I'm disinclined
to mess with it unless there's a pretty concrete reason to do so.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 29 August 2010 22:36, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> On 29 August 2010 22:21, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> What your changes seem to
>>> accomplish is to take the <simplelist> and <informaltable> constructs
>>> outside any <para>, but what is the point of that?
>
>> Well, those can be in their own <para> container too, although I don't
>> think that's an issue.
>
>> But I shalln't pursue it further if you think there's really no issue.
>
> Well, I don't know --- I'm no SGML expert, and I'm not sure whether
> there's a preferred style for that.  But I see in a quick grep that
> every occurrence of <simplelist> in our docs, and all but a few
> occurrences of <informaltable>, are within paras with some surrounding
> text, in precisely the same style as here.  So if this needs to be
> changed then it needs to be changed in a lot of places.  I'm disinclined
> to mess with it unless there's a pretty concrete reason to do so.

Any opinion on the first patch I provided at the beginning of this thread?

--

Date:
On 30 August 2010 14:41, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Any opinion on the first patch I provided at the beginning of this thread?

It appears that first email never made it through.  Since it may be
because of the size of the patch, I reattach it but gzipped.  Here's
the original message too:

I attach a patch which fixes a few layout and markup issues, and also
a bit of tidying up.  These include
- removing excessive table cells
- moving function parameters into function tags rather than having
them being considered separate
- adding return type column on XML2 contrib module functions list and
removing return types from function
- adding table header to XML2 contrib parameter table

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Attachment

Re: Doc fixes and improvements

Date:
Patch applied and backpatched to 9.0.X.  Thanks.

Thom Brown wrote:
> On 30 August 2010 14:41, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> > Any opinion on the first patch I provided at the beginning of this thread?
>
> It appears that first email never made it through.  Since it may be
> because of the size of the patch, I reattach it but gzipped.  Here's
> the original message too:
>
> I attach a patch which fixes a few layout and markup issues, and also
> a bit of tidying up.  These include
> - removing excessive table cells
> - moving function parameters into function tags rather than having
> them being considered separate
> - adding return type column on XML2 contrib module functions list and
> removing return types from function
> - adding table header to XML2 contrib parameter table
>
> --
> Thom Brown
> Twitter: @darkixion
> IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
> Registered Linux user: #516935

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Date:
On 9 September 2010 01:48, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> Patch applied and backpatched to 9.0.X.  Thanks.

Whoa, no comments or objections then?  I'm scared now. :S

Thanks Bruce :)