DTrace docs, Open Items and Performance

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
Robert Lor and Josh Berkus have taken up my offer to assist in
documenting the new Dynamic Trace facility more fully, which was the one
remaining item on the 8.2 Open Items list.

I'm planning to
- add a new section to Performance Tips chapter called Dynamic Tracing
- rename the chapter Performance & Tuning.
- add some further intro stuff on chapter header page

Comments?

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: DTrace docs, Open Items and Performance

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> I'm planning to
> - add a new section to Performance Tips chapter called Dynamic
> Tracing - rename the chapter Performance & Tuning.
> - add some further intro stuff on chapter header page

In my mind it's a little late for revising the documentation structure.
I'd also think that DTrace is not a tuning tool but a monitoring tool
which might place it closer to the description of the statistics
collector.  I think the original plan even placed it into the Internals
part.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Date:
On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 12:09 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I'm planning to
> > - add a new section to Performance Tips chapter called Dynamic
> > Tracing - rename the chapter Performance & Tuning.
> > - add some further intro stuff on chapter header page
>
> In my mind it's a little late for revising the documentation structure.
> I'd also think that DTrace is not a tuning tool but a monitoring tool
> which might place it closer to the description of the statistics
> collector.  I think the original plan even placed it into the Internals
> part.

An additional chapter then, in the internals section? Dynamictrace.sgml

Or a subsection in the Monitoring.sgml chapter? (with the statistics
collector stuff)

--

Date:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> I'm planning to
>> - add a new section to Performance Tips chapter called Dynamic

> In my mind it's a little late for revising the documentation structure.
> I'd also think that DTrace is not a tuning tool but a monitoring tool
> which might place it closer to the description of the statistics
> collector.  I think the original plan even placed it into the Internals
> part.

I was about to say the same.  In my mind DTrace is primarily a hacker's
tool --- I do not foresee the average DBA using it.  So it does not
belong in the Performance Tips chapter.  A new chapter under Internals
is probably as good as anything.

            regards, tom lane

Re: DTrace docs, Open Items and Performance

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 28 November 2006 10:05, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:
> >> I'm planning to
> >> - add a new section to Performance Tips chapter called Dynamic
> >
> > In my mind it's a little late for revising the documentation structure.
> > I'd also think that DTrace is not a tuning tool but a monitoring tool
> > which might place it closer to the description of the statistics
> > collector.  I think the original plan even placed it into the Internals
> > part.
>
> I was about to say the same.  In my mind DTrace is primarily a hacker's
> tool --- I do not foresee the average DBA using it.  So it does not
> belong in the Performance Tips chapter.  A new chapter under Internals
> is probably as good as anything.

I'm not certain how best the postgresql specific probes will be used, but I
might disagree with the above take as we're already using some kernel level
dtrace probes to make DBA oriented tools...  see
http://www.lethargy.org/~jesus/archives/74-PostgreSQL-performance-through-the-eyes-of-DTrace.html
for one specific example.

--
Robert Treat