Re: DTrace docs, Open Items and Performance - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DTrace docs, Open Items and Performance
Date
List pgsql-docs
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> I'm planning to
>> - add a new section to Performance Tips chapter called Dynamic

> In my mind it's a little late for revising the documentation structure.
> I'd also think that DTrace is not a tuning tool but a monitoring tool
> which might place it closer to the description of the statistics
> collector.  I think the original plan even placed it into the Internals
> part.

I was about to say the same.  In my mind DTrace is primarily a hacker's
tool --- I do not foresee the average DBA using it.  So it does not
belong in the Performance Tips chapter.  A new chapter under Internals
is probably as good as anything.

            regards, tom lane